Solved! Can you use an HDMI splitter with an HDMI switcher?

Feb 14, 2021
I have found answers via searches for what I am looking for, but not specifically for what I am trying to do.

I have a TV where I was using a 4-port HDMI switcher and it worked great: it auto-switched to whatever device I had powered on and plugged into my HDMI 2 port. I used HDMI 1 for my satellite TV and was a nice setup.

We experienced a power issue and lost HDMI ports on multiple TVs in the house. I now only have 1 HDMI port that functions on the TV that I want to use the switcher. Can I use an HDMI splitter on the HDMI 2 port and connect a switcher? I know I will not be able to go between satellite and the switcher device, I just want a setup where I do not have to constantly unplug HDMI cords. In other words, if I use a splitter with satellite TV in one port and my switcher in the other port, will it go to whatever powered on device is connected to the switcher if the satellite box is turned off?

Solution
You need a new auto switcher.
Hdmi ports will not display picture of incoming signal if the milli-voltage is not nominal of fluctuates. This inherit in their design to stop "splitting" yhe signal in order to make copies of videos (soo 90s thoughts)
If you plug a hdmi devjce to each tv. One at a time. Check to see the video displayed on each port on each tv..then tvs are good to go
Yes youll have to take the device by hand to each tv..maybe a dvd player with hdmi out.
If tvs check out..then the auti switcher is either bad or the power adaptor for the switcher is bad (most common)
Check output voltage with meter on the adapter..betcha..its low
Specs of what it should be are printed on the adapter.
If all the tvs dont check out and have...

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
You need a new auto switcher.
Hdmi ports will not display picture of incoming signal if the milli-voltage is not nominal of fluctuates. This inherit in their design to stop "splitting" yhe signal in order to make copies of videos (soo 90s thoughts)
If you plug a hdmi devjce to each tv. One at a time. Check to see the video displayed on each port on each tv..then tvs are good to go
Yes youll have to take the device by hand to each tv..maybe a dvd player with hdmi out.
If tvs check out..then the auti switcher is either bad or the power adaptor for the switcher is bad (most common)
Check output voltage with meter on the adapter..betcha..its low
Specs of what it should be are printed on the adapter.
If all the tvs dont check out and have been damaged (i assume surge or lighting strike) then may look at homeowners ins policy to see if covers electronics
Generally a surge will affect more than just hdmi ports.
But cant keep splitting a signal on hdmi

Solution