can you use your laptop as your main hub and run from a/c

countfleet

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015
I dont take laptop anywhere and I use it as my hub of my network.can I take out battery and just use in plugged into A/c outlet? I see no advantage to use battery. I have done this with other laptops with no problems that I know of. I HAVE A DELL INSPIRION 500mg with 500 mg backup drive. 8 mg with an INTEL CORE I7, running windows 8. I have cable modem dual band linksys router with printer and 3 tablets and a streaming device on thr wifi network plus hdmi cables hooked up from laptop to hdtv. Im I doing any damage to my laptop with this setup?? (Took battery out of laptop)

Solution
Leaving your laptop plugged in all the time could be degrading your battery, there will be no harm in removing the battery.

Depending on the battery type, you may be best to run the battery down to about 50% before removing it (as 0% or 100% could cause more battery wear over time). You may also need to periodically maintain a 50% battery level every month or two.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Leaving your laptop plugged in all the time could be degrading your battery, there will be no harm in removing the battery.

Depending on the battery type, you may be best to run the battery down to about 50% before removing it (as 0% or 100% could cause more battery wear over time). You may also need to periodically maintain a 50% battery level every month or two.

Solution

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

advantage of laptop (with battery in) is you do not need a ups (uninteruptable power suppy)

Modern laptops should not overcharge the battery if left in.
(In some laptops you can set battery charge level to 100%, 99% or 95% of capacity to prevent over charging)

What advantage do you see in leaving battery out.?

regards
Mike Barnes