Canada Going After Apple Over eBook Pricing Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]God, and they wonder why there's piracy, ffs[/citation]

A price increase is not justification to steal. So when one day gas prices are too much for some people to afford, they should steal it. Your reasoning is ridiculous. If you don't like their pricing, don't buy it. Apple has zero obligation to you. That's the free market economy. Don't like it? Move. Monopolistic practices are a different matter, I'm talking about piracy.

I know if I was a game developer, music artist, software engineer, and I put in a lot of hours doing work, I wouldn't want some asshole getting it for free. It's my work. I especially hate it when someone says they already make enough. What's enough? Why should you dictate how much someone makes? If you don't want to contribute to their wealth, DON'T BUY IT.

This a big reason why PC is getting jipped when it comes to games. Everyone thinks it's going to get pirated. So games end up being delayed or not released at all. PC has become the least priority for developers because of idiots who don't support products they want.

That's my anti-piracy rant.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]God, and they wonder why there's piracy, ffs[/citation]
Deep down inside. Most people who pirate were going to pirate anyways even if the price was much lower. Nothing beats "free" to them. No need justify theft to appease your own morals.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Deep down inside. Most people who pirate were going to pirate anyways even if the price was much lower. Nothing beats "free" to them. No need justify theft to appease your own morals.[/citation]

If you ask me, which is worse: Apple, or piracy - the answer is Apple. On a number of different levels.

I'm not in support of widespread piracy in general, but in cases where it primarily damages a piece of crap entity like Apple, I'm probably willing to make an exception.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Deep down inside. Most people who pirate were going to pirate anyways even if the price was much lower. Nothing beats "free" to them. No need justify theft to appease your own morals.[/citation]
And we should justify collusion by billionaires to fleece the populace even more? This isn't an ipad luxury device we're talking about. Books are something everyone deserves, for free as a public service. Sure private ownership should have a cost, as it has a cost associated with the publishing. Even a few dollars for an ebook would be fine to cover marketing and editing salaries. If the price doubles the cost, the government SHOULD step in and beat these companies down. THAT is real theft.

kitsura

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
And we should justify collusion by billionaires to fleece the populace even more? This isn't an ipad luxury device we're talking about. Books are something everyone deserves, for free as a public service. Sure private ownership should have a cost, as it has a cost associated with the publishing. Even a few dollars for an ebook would be fine to cover marketing and editing salaries. If the price doubles the cost, the government SHOULD step in and beat these companies down. THAT is real theft.

And in the world you live in who pays the author for creating the work? Don't they deserve fair compensation?
Can you please reference the examples you have for costing the creation of a book and the statistics you use to validate a publishers investment?

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Well, I recently paid 1.99 for two science fiction books "The Rho Agenda". Afaik the author was handling the book himself, thus the lower price. I don't know what his profit looked like, but given he wrote the book it had to be more more than $1 as I bought 2 books.
The third book he opted to get a publisher for, however he was giving away for free "beta" testing an early edition of the third book via email to your amazon account. I had issues with my Kindle as it wasn't a Kindle, but the app on a tablet. Emailed the author and he was kind enough to mail me a regular PDF of the book. Authors and publishers aren't all money grubbing, rights eroding bastards. If anything you'd think the poorer guys would want to maximize profit and the rich guys would say "hey, we can save people some money".
That being said, I have preordered Book 3 via Amazon. I barely read the pre-release as I want the final thing and didn't want to spoil the plot.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]A price increase is not justification to steal. So when one day gas prices are too much for some people to afford, they should steal it. Your reasoning is ridiculous. If you don't like their pricing, don't buy it. Apple has zero obligation to you. That's the free market economy. Don't like it? Move. Monopolistic practices are a different matter, I'm talking about piracy.I know if I was a game developer, music artist, software engineer, and I put in a lot of hours doing work, I wouldn't want some asshole getting it for free. It's my work. I especially hate it when someone says they already make enough. What's enough? Why should you dictate how much someone makes? If you don't want to contribute to their wealth, DON'T BUY IT.This a big reason why PC is getting jipped when it comes to games. Everyone thinks it's going to get pirated. So games end up being delayed or not released at all. PC has become the least priority for developers because of idiots who don't support products they want.That's my anti-piracy rant.[/citation]

No it's not justified to pirate if it's to expensive. But you'r example of games is completly wrong to what's actually happening. People pirate PC games because large chunks of PC games follows the rotten port example. With no demos to give the user a try befor buying it, forces people to try it in some other matter. 90% of ports coming to the PC are utter crap and thus pirated by people that have experience of being shafter by publishers like EA and Activision. I happly pirate games that aren't providing Demos because i don't have blind faith in multiplatform game. The past 4 year's i've been regreting 90% of my purchases in games cause they are buggy, have poor performance, poorly ported (aka. bad controlls, ui and so on.) and because they developers keep overhyping the PC version. Frankly i've stoped purchasing games in blind faith from respectable developers because they are published or owned by the 3 biggest publishers.

The big reason PC is being "jipper" is because bigass companys like EA and Activision refuse to change their practices and make games for gamers instead of making games that fits their greedy little pockets. EA is by far the worse though since they have never really delivered what their marketing says and god damnit their games are buggier than Ghotic 3 was when it got released.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]A price increase is not justification to steal. So when one day gas prices are too much for some people to afford, they should steal it. Your reasoning is ridiculous. If you don't like their pricing, don't buy it. Apple has zero obligation to you. That's the free market economy. Don't like it? Move. Monopolistic practices are a different matter, I'm talking about piracy.I know if I was a game developer, music artist, software engineer, and I put in a lot of hours doing work, I wouldn't want some asshole getting it for free. It's my work. I especially hate it when someone says they already make enough. What's enough? Why should you dictate how much someone makes? If you don't want to contribute to their wealth, DON'T BUY IT.This a big reason why PC is getting jipped when it comes to games. Everyone thinks it's going to get pirated. So games end up being delayed or not released at all. PC has become the least priority for developers because of idiots who don't support products they want.That's my anti-piracy rant.[/citation]

you know what, if i make a movie, a tv show, music, basicly ANYTHING i would give it for free, you know why... I would find a way to MAKE money off the product, and make it either make more financial sense to be free, or good enough to keep putting out free content.

if i made a book, my first things would be to but 1/4 the top of the page be an ad for something, and charge them for permanent ad placement, or if amazon allowed, every 2nd or 3rd page would be an ad, that you cant skip for 4-5 seconds... you got it for free so dont complain, you want to get a better version, buy a physical coppy.

pirates dont like the cost, the company behind a product, ect
people who complain about pirates dont see that
and companies who blame pirates have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future EVERY DAMN TIME something new comes out.

companies have said that home video would kill movies,
companies claimed that cassets recording radio would end music.
one company at the very least (i believe universal) said that every time you see a movie or hear a song, you have to pay for it.

piracy isnt stealing, people complaining dont get the issues, and companys nickel and dime you for everything you had, and would piece out a game FAR worse than they do now if they didnt think people would revolt against them.

steam... nuff said.
some people will pirate for no reason other than a cheap thrill, but most will pay if they wanted the product in the first place.

[citation][nom]tului[/nom]And we should justify collusion by billionaires to fleece the populace even more? This isn't an ipad luxury device we're talking about. Books are something everyone deserves, for free as a public service. Sure private ownership should have a cost, as it has a cost associated with the publishing. Even a few dollars for an ebook would be fine to cover marketing and editing salaries. If the price doubles the cost, the government SHOULD step in and beat these companies down. THAT is real theft.[/citation]

complain to Sonny Bono for the current coppyright system, where nothing that was made when i was born will hit public domain in my lifetime, and with corporations viewed as people, may NEVER reach public domain again.

coppyright should be 25 years to make whatever profit you want on whatever you make, and than its released into public domain, for corporations, for individuals, life + 25 mainly due to how corporations have a tenancy to try and kill off anything that may be sucessfull if they refuse to join.

[citation][nom]idono[/nom]No it's not justified to pirate if it's to expensive. But you'r example of games is completly wrong to what's actually happening. People pirate PC games because large chunks of PC games follows the rotten port example. With no demos to give the user a try befor buying it, forces people to try it in some other matter. 90% of ports coming to the PC are utter crap and thus pirated by people that have experience of being shafter by publishers like EA and Activision. I happly pirate games that aren't providing Demos because i don't have blind faith in multiplatform game. The past 4 year's i've been regreting 90% of my purchases in games cause they are buggy, have poor performance, poorly ported (aka. bad controlls, ui and so on.) and because they developers keep overhyping the PC version. Frankly i've stoped purchasing games in blind faith from respectable developers because they are published or owned by the 3 biggest publishers.The big reason PC is being "jipper" is because bigass companys like EA and Activision refuse to change their practices and make games for gamers instead of making games that fits their greedy little pockets. EA is by far the worse though since they have never really delivered what their marketing says and god damnit their games are buggier than Ghotic 3 was when it got released.[/citation]

lets also not forget their greed also got them kicked off of steam. and lets also point out that demos are usually not updated and the full game will usually be patched up or could cause other problems, this happened back when i was using win 98, i cant remember a recent one that was like that though.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]A price increase is not justification to steal...
That's the free market economy.[/citation]

I can not afford a Ferrari; so can I steal one?
No, of course not. But this is not about more money for better cars, it is about more money because you closed the market to outsiders.

The thing is, if a market is artificially limited to keep prices high than the 'free market economy' is no longer given. Furthermore, it also means that would be competitors, i.e. independent publishers, would be hurt as Authors would have to evaluate carefully if they wish to 'risk' getting shunt by the organized publishers for working with an indi publisher.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]No it's not justified to pirate if it's to expensive. But you'r example of games is completly wrong to what's actually happening. People pirate PC games because large chunks of PC games follows the rotten port example. With no demos to give the user a try befor buying it, forces people to try it in some other matter.[/citation]
That's the worst excuse ever. I've never bought a bad game before because I couldn't get a demo. Any modern game worth buying will have reviews available online. A lot of reviews and any person with half a brain would be able to discern from those reviews if the game is good or not, and if it fits in with what you like. There are also the support forums for the game where people can vent about issues they're having.

Then again, spending some time reading about a potential purchase takes more time than stealing it by downloading, which is why you theives don't bother to read reviews.

G

Wow, an awful lot of hate being spewed in here. Lets just face it: those who pirate will have their reason that they see as valid, and those who disagree will always have a rebuttal. The real point here is evidence of price fixing and how its to be handled, not tolerated. And i'll be honest to the masses, yes i've pirated in the past. If the product ends up being worth it, then i bought it. If not, then it got deleted. Those who like to use the car example: Would you go and buy a car without first test driving it? Sure, there are tons of reviews, but those will never take the place of an actual "test drive" to see if you fit or find it comfortable. Same goes with software, books, etc. There used to be a day when every game had a demo.....not anymore. Games used to cost 25-30 dollars. Now you can't touch one for under 55 bucks. Am i justifying theft? No, merely pointing out the difference between the true "thieves" and those who "borrow to buy". All are lumped under the same title of "pirate". In the past months i've probably d/l about 7 games and bought 1. The rest weren't worth my time or energy.....and least of all money.

G

If you ask me, which is worse: Apple, or piracy - the answer is Apple. On a number of different levels.
hmp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.