Canada Launches MintChip, a Project to Digitize Currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Interested to see how this plays out. I already never use physical money unless I am at a bar that doesn't take credit cards. I learned a long time ago that opening a tab with a credit card will save you money when compared to paying with cash.

aveyoon

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Good idea.
kv.gif

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Canada discontinuing the penny and making payments in gold? And here I am in the United States of Goldman Sachs.

Americans are too silly to allow the USA to discontinue the penny. "With no penny how would the dollar be worth 100 cents? Hur Dur." Of course, US money has been ridiculous from the beginning. We have the penny, nickle and dime based on a system of 10s, but the quarter and half dollar based on a system of 8s.

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Am I the only one who thinks there's countless flaws in this?[/citation]

Other then the same flaws that cash has I don't see what can really go wrong especially if they do not attach private information to it.

G

Crashes, hacks. Imagine if someone made a device that skimmed $1.00 off everyone's chips as they walk by them. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]tethoma[/nom]I learned a long time ago that opening a tab with a credit card will save you money when compared to paying with cash.[/citation]
Well, you must have some good self-control. LOL. I carry a $20, and when it's spent, I'm done.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Am I the only one who thinks there's countless flaws in this?[/citation]
oh yeah, soon as they said "the cloud" I started to worry what is going to happen IF the rest of the world follows this idea.

I would rather take bitcoin over this just for the fact that it isn't run by any gov.

v3rlon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
yep, there are countless flaws in this. Of course, there are countless flaws with cash, too. Counterfitting, theft, quick change artists, slugs in machines, lost money, productions costs of minting the coins, security of the minting tools to prevent couterfitting, money that wears out (you know - the coins that don't work in the soda machine). And those are just a few off the top of my head.

No system is perfect. Identify the falws in whatever system you want to use and work to minimize them.

Status
Not open for further replies.