Canadian ISP's Intentionally Make P2P Slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
No Meat, Zak is right here. If you haven't paid for it and if it's copyrighted, our criminal code say it's illegal.

What you might be thinking about are Canadian citizen's privacy rights, which states that our personal information can't just be given over to the record labels so that they can take legal action. So in that way we are 'protected' to some degree, but it's still illegal and there's actually a bill going through the gov't right now trying to change some of our privacy laws - you should look it up and sign the petitions against it. I did a while ago or I would give you the link.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
You are indeed right. It is only illegal to upload copyrighted material. So you can legaly download a copyrighted song that someone else uploaded. Let the others pay the fine! I didn't know we had such a mentality.

Uncle Meat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Copying music for personal use is legal in Canada, and downloading is considered the same as copying. We pay a tariff on blank media that is distributed to Canadian artists. It works out better for the artists, but the recording industry doesn't like it because they don't see a penny of the money.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yikes, I stand corrected as well then! I wasn't aware of the upload vs download difference, and I wasn't aware that downloading carries the same legal definition as copying.

I believe the privacy laws would still prevent ISP's from giving out your personal info though if you were uploading if the industry wanted to bust a legal cap in your ass.

It's been too long since I've read up on this stuff, might have to take an extended coffee break later today :)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
what ever happened to prosecuting those who break the law? Downloading music that wasn't meant to be distributed for free removes record sales. No record sales means no paycheck for artist's.

so you want them to arrest half the population of the U.S.A? or maybe even more than half of the worlds population? that will go well in a bad economy.

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
To bad Cogeco Can't filter the traffic if I encrypt the data thats being sent to me, I'd rather have P2P Filtering then this 60GB / 100B Bandwith cap per month, just playing games and downloading patches I go over that, every month.

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I hope they add Shaw to this list. They are terrible traffic shappers (though good luck getting them to admit it). P2P can be horribly slow. I even had them throttling a third party VOIP service - I had to give up the service because call quality was nonexistant. Suckers hooked me into their phone over cable service though.

The funny thing is, I run both Windows and Mac OS X on my PC and under OS X I get amazing download speeds. It's like their throttling system can't see what I'm doing on OS X.

Syranetic

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
As a user of Rogers for my home internet here in Canada, I can say all the ISPs here are crooks and they should all be investigated.

Not even a year ago we move from an internet plan with unlimited bandwidth to a limit of 50GB a month for the standard plan. Customers should not get less for MORE, yet that is exactly what they are doing.

The traffic shaping is unacceptable, torrents have been purposely slowed, even though we use them for legitimate purposes (like all my linux ISOs), so after torrent clients started using encryption to bypass the traffic they decided to slow down all encrypted traffic, including legitimate SSL!

Right now there is nothing stopping these ISPs from prioritizing their own traffic from their own partners over someone else's. The CRTC should have stepped in to crack down years ago on this.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I left rogers for that exact same reason, one day its unlimited, then one day its capped to 25gb, 50gb and 90gb.

I moved to cia.com. They have the worst customer service in the world. But during the non-peak hours, you get the full 7mbit, otherwise during peak, its like dialup

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tsponholz[/nom]I hope they add Shaw to this list. They are terrible traffic shappers (though good luck getting them to admit it).[/citation]

Hmm, I have Shaw (10Mb down / 1Mb up) and downloading torrents I have always been able to run at max speed. When downloading anything with a lot of seeds I've never had my download rate at less than 1MB/second. My upload rate is always (24/7) at 120-130KBps (for about 3 years straight now, minus the occasional reboot). I've downloaded a 40GB torrent and maintained 1.1-1.2MBps for the entire download.

Status
Not open for further replies.