Canadian Scientist Tastes Water That's a Billion Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Great! Let's go deep into the Earth to find places undisturbed by humanity, and let's go ahead and indulge in our trivial activities without a care for whatever small ecosystems may reside there.

Fucking humans.

/digress

G

Isn't almost all water that old though? We just remove bad things from it before drinking it.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
@Majin,

Did you miss the part where it said that the water was the consistency of maple syrup because of its high concentration of salt?

Nothing on Earth can survive in an environment with that much salt. Ever heard of the Dead Sea? About 31.5% salt. Notice it's called the DEAD Sea.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
@guardianangel42

Did you also forget that not too terribly long ago people thought Earth was the center of the universe, was flat, was held up on the back of a giant turtle and elephant, etc etc etc.

My point is, humans have ZERO idea what is impossible. Many arrogantly assume something cant be possible until they witness it. So as far as this scientist knows there is nothing down there ... but that's how it always works until they discover something.

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
There are tons of things that are impossible and it takes simple math to figure it out. Don't be arrogant yourself.
Also, Chewbakaats58 trollin' so hard.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
@Benthon It was thought, until VERY recently, that no living organism could survive in space. Then we found Tardigrades.

Stop being close minded. That's the same type of thinking that people used to dismiss magnetism, radiation, conductivity, gravity, etc.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
@chewbakaats58

If you knew anything about science then you would know that age estimate has nothing to do with evolution. Here's a little question for you: The visible universe is quite undeniably bigger than a billion light years in any direction we care to look at. It's one of the marvellous things about creation. It's incredibly, unfathomably, awe inspiringly big. And we can see stars and galaxies at distances of 1 billion light years and beyond quite readily... So how long did it take the light to get from those stars to the earth?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Majin

"Nothing on Earth can survive in an environment with that much salt. Ever heard of the Dead Sea? About 31.5% salt. Notice it's called the DEAD Sea"

Not entirely true bacteria and microbial fungi are present in the dead sea.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
guardianangel42 , 'extremophiles' have been found all over, under and
in the planet. Wherever we look, if there's water, we find life. Some organisms
have bio mechanisms utterly unrelated to what we're familiar with, eg. they
exploit mineral products from radioactive decay. Nothing to do with the sun
or standard oxygen cycles. Some have such slow metabolic rates that they
live for tens of millions of yeard, indeed so slow that normal reproduction as
we think of it would be so energy intensive that it'd kill them.

Check recent issues of New Scientist, you'll find numerous articles about
the extreme conditions in which we continue to find life. I'll be surprised if
we don't find something akin to these organisms on Mars, perhaps in comets
too, and almost certainly on Europa.

As Malcom once said, life will find a way... (2 points if you get that reference. :D)

Ian.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
To be quite honest I would not take that chance. Some chemicals found in geothermal vents are quite toxic. And I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that some of these chemicals could over billions of years have leached into the water. I mean salt certainly did and salts are not all benign to human physiology. Sure you will most not find going to find anything on par with a strong neurotoxin there, but none the less... Arsenic and any number of sulphurous compounds have every chance to be in such water. I assume they did a few sanity checks before she turned herself into a guinea pig.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I am not sure what the article means by stating that the water is a billion years old. Are they saying that it has remained relatively undisturbed for that long? Doesn't groundwater eventually seep into the ocean or gets into the atmosphere through transpiration as part of the hydrologic cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.