cannot boot old toshiba satellite from usb

jdtp235

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I have read all posts on this and this computer is too old for any to be applicable. this is a Toshiba satellite 2435-s255. When in BIOS there are no options involving a UEFI change, or secure start change. I have changed the boot options to USB, it just doesn't seem to care. The usb worked fine on my new laptop, went to windows installation screen, and the Toshiba windows xp SEES the usb and it's contents, but will not boot from it. I am trying to upgrade from xp to win 10. I thought about formatting the drive and trying to see if it will then see the usb but would like to not mess it up worse than it already is. I have already changed the startup to external devices in the system BIOS settings, and hit F2 to try booting from it there...The BIOS has no settings that I have read about in previous posts, and I've already pulled out half my hair trying to figure this out. If anyone can help I'd GREATLY appreciate it but it's looking like a lost cause here. You are my last resort, please help!

Solution
Get plop boot manager,read the documentation and install it to your laptops HDD.
It will give you an additional boot menu that will allow you to boot from USB,attention this way of accessing the USB is much slower so installation will take a long time but it's pretty sure to succeed.
https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

If you are handy and can remove the laptops HDD and connect it to a desktop you can use imagex to apply the windows image from the installation.iso directly to the HDD.
Don't do any of the other stuff they talk about,just use this one command substituting the .wim with the .wim from the iso and the target drive with the HDD from the laptop.
(yeah don't mess up or you might loose heaps of data)...

jdtp235

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
it's a 16gb usb, smallest Walmart had at the time of purchase. Can't make a dvd, this computer does not seem to see the cd's. I attempted that first, it kept saying insert a cd or dvd, tried 2 different kinds, then tried to put a music cd in the drive just to see if the computer would see it and it did not.

jdtp235

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
okay, I got the cd/dvd working, downloaded and burnt to dvd, and will NOT boot from disk. I'm giving up for the night, but I found a post on the net saying this particular comp only boots from floppy drive. I have never used or even seen a floppy drive before. If I can find a floppy drive (why r they "floppy" when irl they are hard? are they at Walmart?) do you think this will work? Am I going to be able to "burn" to the floppy drive without problems using the dvd download? or usb download? am I going to have to find a special format to do this? Will all of this be a waste of time? I have yet again spent 5+ hours on this dinosaur of a comp that should go to the dump (it's family I'm helpin, if it were mine that's where it would be) trying to get this done...I will come back here tomorrow to see if anyone has advise before I spend another 5 hours...I really appreciate the help guys and anything before I waste more time trying yet another option would be awesome. I checked Walmart website and it shows you can order what it looks like I'd need for a disk, but does not show what mb or gb they hold...this is gonna be fun I see. Thanks for tryin to help earlier, and like I said, anything before I attempt this would be appreciated more than you can imagine.

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Get plop boot manager,read the documentation and install it to your laptops HDD.
It will give you an additional boot menu that will allow you to boot from USB,attention this way of accessing the USB is much slower so installation will take a long time but it's pretty sure to succeed.
https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

If you are handy and can remove the laptops HDD and connect it to a desktop you can use imagex to apply the windows image from the installation.iso directly to the HDD.
Don't do any of the other stuff they talk about,just use this one command substituting the .wim with the .wim from the iso and the target drive with the HDD from the laptop.
(yeah don't mess up or you might loose heaps of data)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744531(v=ws.10).aspx#ApplyImagesToHardDrives

Solution