Cannot get into BIOS in Toshiba Satellite A665

Status
Not open for further replies.

raspberrypiguy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5170 laptop I purchased from my friend a few days back. I want to wipe it and put Linux on it and whatnot but I cannot access the boot menu or the BIOS to boot from a DVD or flash drive. He has not put a password on it but has enabled fast boot if I remember correctly. I have tried looking up different Function keys and have tried all of them and the delete key. It just goes straight to windows and does not even show the Toshiba boot logo or anything. I would like to get this working as it has a nice 8 GB of RAM. I have looked into finding a Jumper to reset the CMOS. The battery requires disassembling the entire laptop to get to. My friend never kept the default Windows 7 and blew it away so I can't access or re flash the BIOS from within the OS (stupid idea anyways). I have downloading Toshiba's Tool bit it is confused with windows 10 and refuses to run even in compatibility mode. It has the BIOS revision 2.0 and I need it to at least 2.20 as the battery has been over discharged and will not charge so I have several good reasons to get into the BIOS. Link to Toshiba Website Here. This shows the BIOS revisions.
Thanks for the help guys as I would to have a laptop with a functional battery and OS. (Linux rocks)

Solution
I guess I have to make a solution so if anyone else has this problem they will see the solution. Just hold f2 and then press the power button and just keep holding and holding and wham BIOS. Thanks Mark RM for trying to help Again I owe you one for attempting to help. :bounce:

raspberrypiguy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I downloaded the Toshiba service station 2.2.9 But I could not find how to access the BIOS. It must be another program. Have any ideas?
**Update**I downloaded the program but it was not compatible with this version of windows. So I need to install windows 7 on to another laptop drive and transfer it to this laptop and run the program. If it works I can access the BIOS.

raspberrypiguy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I guess I have to make a solution so if anyone else has this problem they will see the solution. Just hold f2 and then press the power button and just keep holding and holding and wham BIOS. Thanks Mark RM for trying to help Again I owe you one for attempting to help. :bounce:

Solution

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Assuming Windows 8 or 8.1 or 10 is running & you can log in or at least get to the shutdown button on login screen

you press shift key & click with mouse on restart

then navigate to option to go into UEFI on next restart
(or starting in safe mode)

this path varies slightly on which windows version you have

there are other methods

a few shown here

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

regards

Mike Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.