Cannot install FB or FB messenger on Android 7.0?

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
Okay I got this phone just yesterday, it's the HTC One A9.
It came with marshmallow, and right after setup, it offered an update to Nougat. I went ahead and installed Nougat, everything seems to be working fine except for these two apps. FB and FB messenger came pre-installed on the phone and I don't get the option to remove them. On opening either of these two preinstalled apps, it says I must update to the latest version before I can use it, and on clicking update, it downloads the update, says "verifying", then "installing", then "something went wrong" and gives me two options, cancel or retry. Tapping retry repeats the above sequence and always fails.

Trying to download either of these two apps from the play store returns an error 505.

The phone doesn't give me the choice to clear app cache either. Other than this I've tried the standard troubleshooting steps (restart phone, retry after some time, I even changed the date and time of my phone after reading this might solve the problem), but still no luck.

This is my first Android, and m really not comfortable with geeky solutions like attempting to install using USB debugging from the laptop, I'm scared I'll cause more harm than good.

What's causing this? Anything else I can try? Please help...

PS: This is not an operator locked phone, i got it straight from HTC, not my carrier..

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
Resetting the phone did not return me to Marshmallow, it did however erase off all my personalizations/contacts etc.
But nevertheless, the FB issue I was facing was instantly resolved by the factory reset. Play store automatically offered the option to upgrade FB and FB messenger, I tapped yes, and bingo, it worked!

Thanks for suggesting this, you saved me a trip to the HTC store :hap: