Canon 60D Shutter closes after some time in Live View

Modestas_1

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Hey everyone!

So recently I started streaming on Twitch and faced many obstacles I had to overcome initially. One of them is face cam.
Everything kind of works alright. I just connect my DSLR to PC using USB connection and I can use Live View in Canon's EOS utility. However, after some time shutter just kind of resets and I have to reconfigure EOS utility every time it happens. It's really frustrating because you really don't want to be distracted be those kind of things while streaming.
Auto power off is set to "off" I also played with some Magic Lantern settings but no use.
Maybe you guys have some clues what might be causing this malfunction?

Solution
It's been about 5 years, but a long time ago I read that the live view and video recording function of all still cameras has a hard-coded 29 minute 59 second time limit. If it can record/show live video for 30+ minutes, then it gets classified as a video camera, not a still camera, which has implications for product classification and taxation.

Seems like there's a work-around. Pressing the shutter button halfway resets the timer, and there's a pref option to make the button sticky.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_for_more_than_12_minutes

The earlier cameras with live view (I have a 40D, which was when they introduced the feature) would also automatically shut live view off if they detected the sensor was overheating.
It's been about 5 years, but a long time ago I read that the live view and video recording function of all still cameras has a hard-coded 29 minute 59 second time limit. If it can record/show live video for 30+ minutes, then it gets classified as a video camera, not a still camera, which has implications for product classification and taxation.

Seems like there's a work-around. Pressing the shutter button halfway resets the timer, and there's a pref option to make the button sticky.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_for_more_than_12_minutes

The earlier cameras with live view (I have a 40D, which was when they introduced the feature) would also automatically shut live view off if they detected the sensor was overheating.

Solution

Modestas_1

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

Oh I'll definitely test that workaround tomorrow and see if that's the case. It's late now in Lithuania I'm going to sleep :)
Thanks a lot for a reply!