Can't change display adapter from Integrated to dedicated

marshy07

Estimable
Jan 27, 2016
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 144 Hz monitor for gaming purposes and found out that the display adapter my laptop(Gigabyte P15fv2) was using was the Intel HD Graphics 4600 the whole time and not the GTX 850M. I looked through the forums and tried a few possible ways to make the GTX my display adapter:

- Disabled the Intel graphics in the 'Device Manager'. This only changed the display adapter to the 'Microsoft Basic Default Driver'
- Changing the display adapter through the BIOS. I looked very thoroughly through the BIOS and found only a way to disable the GTX and not the Integrated graphics. (Apparently,laptops don't have an option to change display adapters)
- Updating all my graphics drivers and software.

I've hit a wall and I can't seem to find any other way to fix this issue. The only resolution I can run on 120 Hz is 1024x768, which looks horrible. My NVIDIA control panel also looks different to what it shows in some forum posts/websites:

Screenshot of the other NVIDIA Control Panel:

ht078706_2.ashx

Screenshot of my NVIDIA Control Panel:

a05603a35b62d31df176b9f57ceac0b2.png

As you can see on the sidebar, 4 categories are missing and I'm guessing this has to do with the GTX 850M not being my display adapter.

Hi,

Please do try to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver of your laptop that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop and try setting NVIDIA as the default graphics card.
- Please refer to the link below:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card

Check with the laptop vendor and make sure your external screen connections can run off the nVidia setup. Some systems will only run the onboard video off the external connection. Use the drivers from the laptop vendor not nVidia, see if that helps. Laptops with dual graphics have issues only after some other thing changes the video card drivers from the ones that were provided, either someone updating from the chip vendor or a Windows update.