Can't decide between 3 gaming laptops

DesperateConsumer

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Solution
I've got to vote for the Gigabyte. It has the 6GB variant of the 1060, a big plus. It has HDD + SDD, another big plus.

The MSI and Asus have the 3GB 1060, that gets a minus for me.
The MSI also uses only HDD. I wouldn't pay 4 digits for a system that doesn't include SSD.

The Gigabyte and Asus laptops you linked are very similar. I choose the Gigabyte because it has a better GPU and the same/similar everything else. And it's a bit cheaper.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Get the MSI one.

I have an MSI GE17. Its awesome. The casing feels sturdy and good. Also has fan boost for better cooling and overall is just a beast of a system.

I would recommend MSI laptops to anyone. They are great.

I only don't recommend the other two because I have not heard great things about their cooling. But who knows, maybe that has changed.

theyeti87

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I've got to vote for the Gigabyte. It has the 6GB variant of the 1060, a big plus. It has HDD + SDD, another big plus.

The MSI and Asus have the 3GB 1060, that gets a minus for me.
The MSI also uses only HDD. I wouldn't pay 4 digits for a system that doesn't include SSD.

The Gigabyte and Asus laptops you linked are very similar. I choose the Gigabyte because it has a better GPU and the same/similar everything else. And it's a bit cheaper.

Solution

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Well depends on your tech knowledge. That 3GB vram vs 6GB vram. I don't know how big of a deal that is for laptops since most games you dont even get close to using 6GB vram mark.

And you are paying $200 for extra 3GB of vram and a SSD? You can buy a good, fast SSD for way cheaper then $200 and install it yourself.

So it really boils down to if you are willing to give up that 3GB of vram and install the SSD yourself. If not, get the Gigabyte.

And as I mentioned before. I would really look into how good cooling is with the other laptops. if they dont have good cooling, you can have the best GPU in the world. It will die faster and you may run into thermal throttling issues. If it isn't being cooled enough.

theyeti87

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

My consideration for the different 1060's is that, yes, you are correct about usage of vRAM. However, there is a difference in CUDA cores between the 3gb and 6gb that make an actual difference in performance.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

This is true but you also need to consider the screen size being used. There is a point where a few extra CUDA cores on a GPU wont make a difference for a screen that small. This could easily be one of those cases.

It's just something to think about. Pros and Cons to each side. I can only validate the quality of an MSI laptop as I have one, in terms of overall performance and great cooling. I can't recommend the others strictly based on just the "GPU is better".

But that is not wrong either.

DesperateConsumer

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from DesperateConsumer : "Need Help Deciding on Some Gaming Laptops"

Need help with which one I should get. I want it to be vr capable and fast for TC Wildlands too.
needs to be at least a little bit portable and have 8gb of ram can you help me? Thanks.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2WC-00...

BTW: Only have a desk so.. yeah.