Solved! Can't Delete Learned Words Anymore

glitterninja

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
My Android keeps learning incorrect words when I use voice recording, and the usual methods won't delete the word. For example, I'm writing a post on Old Hollywood star Ann Miller, but every time i say her name, it writes "annmiller." I've individually deleted that word AND cleared out all learned words but it keeps happening. This is on an Android 6.0.1 running Jellybean.

Possibly related is that the feature to autocomplete words that are in bold on the top line of my keyboard seems to not be working either. Almost nothing is ever bold anymore. Nearly every autofill suggestion is also a name; for instance, if I type "nei" expecting "neither," instead I get "Nei" in bold as though it were a name. Not even "Neil" but "Nei."

This has happened with the default keyboard as well as two I installed to see if changing keyboards would help. It's always the same.

And again, with those names that come up as suggestions, I will delete them but they always come back the next time I open an app to use my keyboard.

Solution
What apps is it doing this in? Or all of them?

Have you tried going into the phone's "Settings" and making sure there is only the original keyboard? If there are any others you may want to remove them and see if it resolves it.

You may also want to try starting up the phone in "Safe Mode" and try accessing the more standard apps (many apps won't work in this mode) and see if the problem occurs. If it doesn't, then check the device for bad apps, viruses, malware, etc.
Well first, it can't be an Android 6.0.1 running "Jellybean" as "Jellybean" is a version of Android. It is version 4.1, while 6.0 is "Marshmallow". So your phone can only be running one or the other. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Second, when speaking a word, it isn't if it is saved in your list of words or not that is probably the issue here. It is more likely the way it is hearing it. It sounds more like it is hearing this without a space. You may need to pause a tad longer in between saying her first and last name. The words you are getting instead are likely words in the system itself and have nothing to do with any added ones. I had a phone that every time I would try to type out (in the message body) my friends name Aiden, it would auto change it to Biden. Even after a year of use it still did it. Now that isn't a name I added, but it was in the phone's system and not removable.

glitterninja

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
Apologies, when checking the Android version I glanced at an old screen capture I took instead of going out and checking About Phone. It is 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

The problems with autocorrect and autofill started suddenly with some app updates, but so many apps update so often I had no idea which update might have caused this. There was definitely a change, though I don't know what the change was. Prior to the change I never had words like "Nev" or "Nei" or "Fra" suggested in bold, and when I'd remove a word, it would stay removed.

It doesn't make any sense for the system to have "annmiller" as a word; when the voice to text doesn't recognize what I've said, it doesn't just type gibberish, it types a series of real words that sound like what I said.

I suppose the system could be pulling "words" from URLs, I guess.

What apps is it doing this in? Or all of them?

Have you tried going into the phone's "Settings" and making sure there is only the original keyboard? If there are any others you may want to remove them and see if it resolves it.

You may also want to try starting up the phone in "Safe Mode" and try accessing the more standard apps (many apps won't work in this mode) and see if the problem occurs. If it doesn't, then check the device for bad apps, viruses, malware, etc.

Solution