Can't get games to run on gtx 860m instead of hd 4600.

priestjimbo

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hi,
TL;DR: My computer is only running games on my 4600 and nothing i've tried so far will let me run them using my 860m.

So I bought a laptop a little while ago, and I never really started using it because a friend was borrowing it. My PC just died, so now i'm using it. It's a lenovo (i think y-50 or y-70 - don't quite remember). It's got an i7-4700 @2.4ghz, 16gb ram and a geforce gtx 860m card in it.

However, whenever I am running games it is slower and more glitchy than my old rig. I checked systemrequirements lab and it is telling me to upgrade my card to an older and worse model. So I changed the drivers a few times, and nothing has changed. I try disabling 4600 from my device manager, but that just makes it so I can't use the monitor i have plugged in. Also, when i disable the 4600, I can't open up my NVIDIA Control Panel. It will say that I am not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA gpu.

Also I tried changing everything in my nvidia control panel to my 860m, but still nothing. This is super frustrating, and I don't know what to do. I am a super huge noob when it comes to this shit, so I desperately need help!

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Try this download 'Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)' and completely clean your drivers off the laptop. Then get the latest driver for your Intel and Nvida GPU. Were you downloading the latest drivers or reinstalling the drivers supplied on a disk with the laptop? A while back NVidia released a hotfix driver to help issues with the 860M.

priestjimbo

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Okay, so I did that, and it doesn't look like anything has changed. When I look up if I can run certain games on my laptop, it still lists my hd 4600 graphics card as what I have. I updated all of my drivers to the most recent. And still, if I try to disable the HD graphics, it won't let me use my monitor, and then stops letting me open the nvidia control panel.

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Did the computer originally come with windows 8.1 and you've updated to windows 10? There are a number of threads blaming the windows 10 update for this problem on Lenovo Y50-70 laptops. If you have updated to Windows 10 you could restore the computer to windows 8.1 although I would recommend this as a last and drastic step.

Are you disabling the onboard graphics via windows, is there an option in your BIOS to disable the onboard graphics?

priestjimbo

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

It originally came with 8.1, and I'm still using it. Haven't upgraded to Windows 10.

Also, I don't really know too much about the bios. But I went in there and the only thing that I found was called "Graphic Device" and it gave me the option to choose between "switchable graphics" and "UMA graphic". However if I choose UMA, then it gets rid of the "NVIDIA GPS" option below it.

Other than those two, I don't see anything in here that is related to disabling the onboard graphics.

priestjimbo

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

I don't understand what to do then.

godpui

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Same problem discovered from me since there are new updates later than driver version 355.98 half year ago. So I keep my driver version at 355.98 now and never update it anymore, it work fine, but I wanna know if there is any solution can let my comp work with new update.

Helmikins

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Reinstall the Intel Video drivers for the 4600. Go to Intel website for the latest one. I fought this for over a day after a new driver from Nvidia came out.