Solved! Can't get Headphone mic to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2019
So I have a Dell 5577 and an Eksa Headset.
The laptop have a combined Input and Output jack, and the deadset has a combined jack as well. Despite that I haven't been able to get the microphone of the headset to work no matter what I do,

The laptop only recognises the Internal microphone and doesn't recognise the headset's mic - doesn't matter if I'm using Microsoft's drivers or Realtek's drivers.
The laptop comes with the Waves audio manager and the mic only works when I select Line in or Mic in. But then I don't get audio output from the headset.
Choosing Headphones uses the Laptop's internal mic with headset's output. Choosing Headset just don't work at all.
Wd8dX40.png

I'm at a complete loss what to do. Kindly help.

Solution
While your laptop may say it has a dual input/output 3.5mm port, that doesn't mean it will work correctly. Sadly, a lot of them have cheap ones that don't work.

Try the following and see if it helps.

If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

NOTE: If the microphone does not show in the list, right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Click the "Recording" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes...
Sep 23, 2018
Well i think had a similar problem and heres what fixed it for me, but doesnt mean it will work for you.
Press start > type sound > choose microphone tab (have your headset connected) > right click on your headset microphone > check its volume (vol up if low) if its 100% try to use boost that should be near mic volume. (This is for win7 / don’t know if its the same on win10)

Jul 1, 2019
Well i think had a similar problem and heres what fixed it for me, but doesnt mean it will work for you.
Press start > type sound > choose microphone tab (have your headset connected) > right click on your headset microphone > check its volume (vol up if low) if its 100% try to use boost that should be near mic volume. (This is for win7 / don’t know if its the same on win10)
It doesn't show up in that tab. That's the issue. The PC just doesn't detect it normally.

While your laptop may say it has a dual input/output 3.5mm port, that doesn't mean it will work correctly. Sadly, a lot of them have cheap ones that don't work.

Try the following and see if it helps.

If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

NOTE: If the microphone does not show in the list, right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Click the "Recording" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
  8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

If you still can't see the microphone listed anywhere, or the above doesn't help, then you may have to consider one of the following...

A. Have the 3.5mm port replaced.
B. Get a headset that connects via USB.
C. Get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect your headset through a USB port.

I would suggest C as it is way cheaper.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.