Can't get sound on my TV when it is connected to my laptop via HDMI cable

Andrew_47

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
I have looked all around the internet and on this site for a solution to the problem I have but cannot find a solution.

My TV had sound on it when I set it up earlier today, but for some reason it does not anymore. I have picture still but the sound randomly stopped working.

I have tried going into my sounds in control panel like everything says to do, but my TV does not show up under playback devices. The TV shows up when I go to "devices and printers' but not when I go to "sounds"

Please help me with any solutions you might have.

Note: I have Windows 10

Solution
Hi,

Do try setting the HDMI as the default playback device.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Playback Device.
- If your TV is listed right click on it and select Set Default.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again.

If these doesn't work uninstall/reinstall the sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card driver.
- Once uninstalled reboot your laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
- If it doesn't reinstall, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
Hi,

Do try setting the HDMI as the default playback device.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Playback Device.
- If your TV is listed right click on it and select Set Default.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again.

If these doesn't work uninstall/reinstall the sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card driver.
- Once uninstalled reboot your laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
- If it doesn't reinstall, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.

Solution

James 78

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I had a similar problem. Try going back to an older driver. The latest Display Audio driver doesn't recognize the HDMI audio. Mine was by Intel and I went to their site and downloaded the older file and got my sound back. Win 10 Home will keep updating automatically so you'll have to "roll back" that file each time they do until they give us a workable driver. .

James 78

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Thanks for your help Tony. In a way I suppose that is what I did. I went to Intel and downloaded their current program for the Display Audio program for this computer. It was different from the one Win 10 supplied. I replaced the Win 10 program with it and it worked. Later when it stopped working a second time I went into the Intel Display Audio program and rolled it back to the previous program. Win 10 had updated it and the new prog. wouldn't work. Once I rolled it back all was well. I had to do it again when windows updated a few weeks later . I have not had trouble since. James

Maka__

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

I had the same problem with my new philips tv, and this did the trich. thenx a lot!

Kyriacos_1

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Deleted my drivers restarted and all set thanks

SummerGurl

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
After looking all over the internet and reading everyone elses solutions and nothing working,
Your instructions on this were CLEAR, PRECISE, said in plain english for us laptop/tech dummies
and definitely helped me.
My problem=SOLVED. Thank you LapTop Nerd!!

-Jenn