Can't install GPU Drivers

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
I have an HP Pavilion dv6-3123ez laptop and it has an HD 4250 and an HD 5470 in it. Recently I upgraded to Windows 10 and when it booted up it said "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly." so I thought I should download the Windows 10 drivers from the AMD's website and so I did, I downloaded them, installed them and rebooted my PC but the message popped up again. I checked the device manager and it gave me Code 43 on the HD 5470 so I decided to uninstall all drivers and just install the Windows 10 drivers but nothing changed, I disabled driver signature enforcement but it did nothing.

I checked the Supported Products and the 5000 series is on the list so I reinstalled drivers running them as administrator and after they installed, it said that there were some warnings so I looked at the install log and found this:

<package>
<description>AMD Display Driver</description>
<result>Fail</result>
<version>15.200.1062.1003</version>
<size>90 </size>
</package>

So the display drivers fail to install every time, I don't know why or how to fix it, I've seen other posts about this on Google but no one has found a solution as far as I know.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Tried it, didn't fix it. The display drivers still failed to install and now in Device Manager I have 2 "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" instead of the 2 GPUs, listed.

You ran the DDU using the AMD option and then installed the following drivers:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

The HD 4200 series drivers are not available for Windows 10 yet through any OEM or through AMD, so that could be part of the problem although Windows did install a compatible driver a couple of hours after installion but I'm fairly certain it wasn't model specific and the Catalyst control center was not available or installed as with other supported models.

I'd look in your bios to see if there is an option to disable the iGPU and use only the higher end discreet card rather than switchable graphics. There may even be an option to entirely turn off switchable graphics and use only the discreet card.

You can also try removing the devices and their drivers in device manager using the right click uninstall method and rebooting to see if an adequate driver installs.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

I know that the 4200 series isn't supported but the 5000 series should work properly if the drivers were installed but like I said, the display drivers don't install at all. I was looking around for a solution to that and I saw suggestions that I should install the drivers through Device Manager by going to the update driver and then choosing the AMD folder but that says "the style of inf is different than what was requested" and then I can only close the window. I'll now try to remove the devices in Device Manager, like you said and see if that works.

EDIT: In BIOS I have Memory test, HDD test, language settings and date and time settings, nothing about GPUs. I uninstalled the devices in Device Manager, rebooted and now I still have 2 Video Controller (VGA Compatible) except now they both show Code 18, "Reinstall the drivers for this device. To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." When I click on Reinstall Driver... it takes me to the same page as the Update Driver.... and whichever option I choose, it says "the style of inf is different than what was requested"

Try clicking on the start menu on "settings" and then open the updates applet and click on update. Let it run and see if anything shakes out. Like I said before, I just did a clean install on my mothers old system and it finally found drivers for the HD 4200 motherboard graphics all on it's own so it probably might with yours as well at some point, but I know it's frustrating to wait and the other methods should work yet don't.

We knew these kinds of driver issues were going to happen, they always do with EVERY new Windows release, especially on drivers that verify the OS version. You can also try downloading the driver, right click on it and run as administrator to see if that will force it through.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

The first thing I tried was running it as administrator, didn't work. I went into settings and updates and it says downloading updates 84 % and isn't moving. If I click on details, drivers for 5000 series and 4200 series are in the list and say waiting for install.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
Well, the updates installed, the screen turned off, I waited a few minutes and then turned the laptop off because it was completely unresponsive but that caused the laptop to boot into a black screen with only the mouse pointer for some reason but I rebooted it a few times and it works now but we're back to square one, in Device Manager the 4200 says "No Drivers are Installed" and the 5000 says Code 43. Windows update says that it's up to date.

Leave it on but connected to the internet for a few hours. You can even use it if you like and can with whatever resolution it's showing, and see if it updates. If not, then it is simply due to the fact that no driver support has come forth yet for those adapters or that none is going to. At some point I'd wager they'll get around to it but until then, dunno.

Personally, I'd try a clean install now that you've done the upgrade.

Dowload the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use this tool to create USB or DVD installation media using the downloaded ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

And install according to the guidelines here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

The resolution is 1366x768 so that's good but I doubt it'll update. The 5000 series is in the list of supported products on the driver download page and I've seen a lot of other people having same or similar problems so I hope AMD release a fix soon. I really don't want to install Windows 10 again because for some reason, it took 17 hours to upgrade from Windows 7, I don't know why, I've got a 5400 RPM 500 GB HDD, it isn't that fast but 17 hours was a bit too much. The laptop is pretty usable as is, it's just very slow so I'll just hope that AMD fixes things and if not, I'll downgrade back to Windows 7. How long does it take to downgrade back to Win 7?

A clean install shouldn't take more than a half hour. An upgrade, that's anybody's guess but it takes a LOT longer than a clean install. If and when you do so, be sure to disconnect ALL other drives except the one that contains the installation media and the one you are installing to, from the motherboard. Just unplug the SATA cable going to those drives until after installation.

And be sure, during the installation, to click on the Custom installation option and then delete all the existing partitions on the drive. (Unless you have an OEM system image partition on there from your previous operating system that you want to keep. In which case, delete the rest of them but not that one.) If there is another partition with the restore image it might even be best to just copy that to another drive or location and fully clean the partitions out before installing as outlined in the Clean install tutorial.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
I fixed it! Here's how:

I downloaded the latest AMD drivers for Windows 10 and installed them.
Then I downloaded the HP provided drivers for Windows 7
These drivers said that everything was up to date so I uninstalled the 5000 series in Device Manager, then rebooted.
After the reboot, I had Video Controller (VGA Compatible), I clicked on it and went to update drivers and choose to browse my computer.
I chose "C:\SwSetup\SP49517" and that installed the display drivers and the screen went black.
I waited a while to be sure that the drivers were installed and then turned off the laptop with the power button.
When the laptop powered back on, it was working.
Now both 5000 series and 4200 series are working.

The only problem is that Windows Update is trying to update the drivers so I'm scared to let it update, how do I stop it from updating the AMD drivers but allow it to download Windows updates?

Did you run the DDU previously? If so, it should not be able to automatically update the graphics drivers anymore (If all works as intended) since the DDU changes a setting to stop graphics updates from happening. After running the DDU all GPU card drivers should need to be updated manually.

That kind of slipped my mind before when I said to let it try and update them automatically. I'd think it's ok to let them run and I don't think you can stop the updates in Win10 anyhow. Aside from making changes to the registry like the DDU does, updates in Windows 10 are mandatory and will install whether you want them to or not. That's one of the new "features", that we don't care for and has driven much discussion.

Also notice that Microsoft just released a graphics related update to the OS that may have been related to the change now working as well.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Welp, I'm ready to throw the laptop out the window... Windows decided that im not using my device and updated the drivers, turned off the GPU and Device Manager said that the system needs to be restarted for the device to work properly so I did and now Deviçe Manager said that it was working properly but it wasn't, the computer was really slow and games wouldn't even start so I went to Device Manager and did Roll Back Drivers but now the laptop just boots into a black screen with only the cursor. I did run DDU but only when you told me, not after that.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Oh, I managed to boot into safe mode and do the DDU again but I couldn't boot into safe mode with networking so I did the old DDU. The fix worked again but the driver update is still queued up in the Windows update so it's just a matter of time before it stops working again. What exactly does the DDU do to the registry and can I do it manually?

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

I did the thing that it says under "How to block unwanted Windows 10 updates" but the AMD drivers are still in the update list. The black screen was a thing with the display drivers, the laptop was working normally, I heard the startup sound and stuff worked but I could only see the cursor. I tried pressing buttons (Like enter, as suggested) and waited more than 15 minutes, it just stayed black. When I reinstalled the drivers, it booted up in less than a minute.

Go to control panel, system, click on the advanced system settings link on the left side, click on the hardware tab, click on device installation settings and set it to NO. Like this:

14scprb.jpg