Can't output 5.1 with laptop

fabiodiazs

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I have my Asus N550JK laptop connected to a Yamaha receiver through HDMI (which itself is connected to a Samsung TV). My problem is that I can't output 5.1 surround because Windows 10 recognizes the TV instead of the receiver as an audio device, so it doesn't give me the option to configure to 5.1.

As soon as I turn off the TV (and continue using the laptop through duplicate display), the output instantly changes. The receiver comes up and I can configure it to 5.1 perfectly.

However, as I turn on the TV again, it changes the audio device again to Samsung TV and the Yamaha receiver is nowhere to be found. I'm still tinkering but I really don't know what to do. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Solution

Thanks for the help, I found the solution.

The problem was that my receiver was configured to output audio through the...
Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Octava-1x1-Converter-optical-toslink-Emulator/dp/B009AZT1E2
can make your laptop output it 5.1 by changing the EDID that controls this. It also provides an alternative solution since it also provides an optical audio output that you can connect to the receiver.
Some multiple output HDMI switchers do this too. They have a switch to select 2.0 or 5.1 for the main HDMI output. I use one of these since I have a TV and projector/audio system. If not for this feature I would not be able to get 5.1 on the audio system since the TV would make my cable box default to 2.0

fabiodiazs

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

Thanks for the help, I found the solution.

The problem was that my receiver was configured to output audio through the speakers and the TV. All I had to do was remove the TV as an audio output device from the receiver (so that only the speakers can) and the laptop inmediatly recognized this. The Samsung TV is still listed in the Playback devices, but now I can use it with the 5.1 surround.

Solution