Can't right-click on Facebook photos of one person

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi all,

I was trying to save a photo on Facebook and found that not only could I not save that photo (or any of that person's photos, as it happens), but I couldn't even right-click on it, or to put it more accurately, right-clicking on the photo doesn't produce a drop-down menu. If I visit anyone else's profile (even complete strangers), I can get a drop-down menu by right-clicking and can save any photos visible to me. Furthermore, on anyone else photos the clickable Options found at the bottom of the photo (on the right) gives the options Download, Embed, Report Photo and Enter Fullscreen, whereas for the person whose photo I actually want to save it has (and all their photos have) only the last three options, no Download option.

I also tried the above from another Facebook profile and found exactly the same. Only that one person's photos are undownloadable.

Incidentally, I tried right-clicking in the white area to the right of the photo (where comments are) and clicking on Inspect element, taking the page URL and pasting into a new window, but that just comes up with 'You need to be logged in to view this page' or similar message, even though I am logged in within the same browser.

I'm wondering whether anyone here knows more about what's going on here. Has Facebook managed to find a way of allowing users to make their photos visible but completely impossible to save? I would be very interested in knowing how to do this with my own photos, but there's absolutely nothing in Facebook's help section or on the Internet generally which says that this is possible.

Mar 12, 2018
same thing for me. I also used to be able to save videos.. now I can't. This is so frustrating. I use Chrome and everything is up to date. I also am using Windows 10.

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Can't ask Facebook, as they don't have any customer service. Besides, if it's not in their extensive help information then it's unlikely to be a widely known official policy.

Doing a screenshot and pasting into Paint (or similar) won't work, because that will appear grainy when you zoom in.

I can save videos by replacing www with m (for mobile), pressing Enter and then right-clicking on the video and clicking Save Target As.