Can't seem to figure what is wrong with my Lenovo laptop

aeksaa

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I bought a Lenovo laptop a year ago, and it worked fine until about two months ago. It has in it's lifetime endured a fall to the groud, but didn't really decrease in performance after this. Then, a while back it took a blow to the harddrive, which broke. I then changed the harddrive to a new one, and it seemed to work perfectly.

Within a couple of weeks, however, my computer started shutting off without warning, only to instantly restart with the fan going crazy, and no display, yet slight lighting on the screen. It would work normaly every now and then, and after turning it on and off 5 or so times, but after a while that declined. The battery light also blinks.

Am i completely screwed or is there something I overlooked? It should in theory be working?

Solution
A fall can cause a laptop display issues long after the fall, in my opinion your original hdd failure was due to the fall although it failed sometime after with.

Since the laptop is only year old i find it hard to believe that dust has somehow clogged up the air vents causing the laptop to overheat and switch off to protect itself. However using a laptop on the bed and especially on blankets will see it suck plenty of dust in a short period. So check for dust issues.

If no dust problem, try booting in safe mode and test...if its stable then while in safe do the following:

1. In command prompt (cmd) type : "sfc /scannow" without quotes and this will cause windows to check for corruptions and repair.
2. If sfc scans is failing...

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
A fall can cause a laptop display issues long after the fall, in my opinion your original hdd failure was due to the fall although it failed sometime after with.

Since the laptop is only year old i find it hard to believe that dust has somehow clogged up the air vents causing the laptop to overheat and switch off to protect itself. However using a laptop on the bed and especially on blankets will see it suck plenty of dust in a short period. So check for dust issues.

If no dust problem, try booting in safe mode and test...if its stable then while in safe do the following:

1. In command prompt (cmd) type : "sfc /scannow" without quotes and this will cause windows to check for corruptions and repair.
2. If sfc scans is failing somehow, download rkill from bleeping computer website, and malwarebytes antimalware. Open rkill and keep it running, now install malwarebytes, update it and scan and remove any infections, also update your antivirus, scan and remove infections.
3. Reboot and re-run sfc check again, let it finish and reboot as normal.

4. If the laptop is still not working correctly, check if your ram is seated correctly. If the ram was seated correctly all this time, then remove one ram stick and test. If it boots and works correctly, now power off and move that same ram stick to the empty slot and power on and see if the second ram slot is working correctly. If at this moment the computer works correctly we deduce the other ram stick that was removed may be faulty, you may at this time test this ram we suspect is faulty to ensure it is by booting up with it.

5. If you find the ram slots and sticks are working then you may have a gpu failure, fan failure or cpu thermal paste issues. Its very unlikely that the cpu itself is faulty, hopefully its a thermal paste issue which is far easier fix than having a gpu failure. So at this point the fan must be tested. Gpu fixing will require professional repair technician..........also i just remembered its possible the battery itself is faulty, try removing it and powering with just the charger.

Anyway these steps i would follow although go with simple ones first, good luck.

Solution
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, do test the AC adapter and battery of your laptop.
- Remove the battery of your laptop and run it with just the AC adapter and see if it will stay on or work normally.
- If the same problem will persist do also consider connecting an external monitor onto your laptop and observe if it will do the same.
- Also I would suggest opening the laptop, clean the inside of it from dust and apply new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.
- And if all these steps will fail I would say that it's a motherboard problem already.

Tradesman1

Honorable

+1