Capturing digital Dolphins

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi
By means of sorcery or software, would anyone know a clever technique
of transferring Sony DAT (TCD-D100) material to hard disc in such a
way that the timestamps are automatically captured. Over 50 tapes of
marine mammal sound for post grad. research are involved. The tapes
arrear to be deteriorating through exposure to salt air and, though
the manual alternative is an option, a less time-intensive method
would be preferred.
Many thanks for any advice.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Weka wrote:
>
> By means of sorcery or software, would anyone know a clever technique
> of transferring Sony DAT (TCD-D100) material to hard disc in such a
> way that the timestamps are automatically captured.

The D100 is a miniature deck and does not have timecode. To what timestamps do you refer?


Many of the RME soundcards support DAT index marks when connected to the DAT via S/PDIF and used with compatible software (like Samplitude or Wavelab.)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Weka <fakeantony@hotmail.com> wrote:
>By means of sorcery or software, would anyone know a clever technique
>of transferring Sony DAT (TCD-D100) material to hard disc in such a
>way that the timestamps are automatically captured. Over 50 tapes of
>marine mammal sound for post grad. research are involved. The tapes
>arrear to be deteriorating through exposure to salt air and, though
>the manual alternative is an option, a less time-intensive method
>would be preferred.
>Many thanks for any advice.

By timestamps you mean the A-time data, or you mean the start-ID data?

The SGI workstation drives can read audio data from DAT tapes and get
the A-time data, but you'll have to hack up some code to do anything
useful with it, because of course there is no place to put it in a
standard .wav file.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <f152fa9f.0408170948.17ab2088@posting.google.com> fakeantony@hotmail.com writes:

> By means of sorcery or software, would anyone know a clever technique
> of transferring Sony DAT (TCD-D100) material to hard disc in such a
> way that the timestamps are automatically captured.

No, but just about any DAW program has a time scale. If you record the
tape from beginning to end, the time that your computer displays
should pretty closely correspond to the absolute time on the tape. The
error would be in how close to zero you started recording on the
computer.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> By timestamps you mean the A-time data, or you mean the start-ID data?
>
> The SGI workstation drives can read audio data from DAT tapes and get
> the A-time data, but you'll have to hack up some code to do anything
> useful with it, because of course there is no place to put it in a
> standard .wav file.
> --scott

Yeah, I was meaning the indexes points and their time/date stamps. I
was hoping for some black magic to save a lot of work. I realise it
was a long-shot. Thanks heaps anyway.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <f152fa9f.0408182041.50b1d662@posting.google.com>,
Weka <fakeantony@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> By timestamps you mean the A-time data, or you mean the start-ID data?
>>
>> The SGI workstation drives can read audio data from DAT tapes and get
>> the A-time data, but you'll have to hack up some code to do anything
>> useful with it, because of course there is no place to put it in a
>> standard .wav file.
>
>Yeah, I was meaning the indexes points and their time/date stamps. I
>was hoping for some black magic to save a lot of work. I realise it
>was a long-shot. Thanks heaps anyway.

The start-IDs are easy.... they get transmitted on an S-PDIF line and a
lot of software out there can be set up to put a mark or start a new file
when it gets a start-ID. A-time is harder. If you had used a timecode
machine, you'd have been better off.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:41:03 -0700, Weka wrote:

>> By timestamps you mean the A-time data, or you mean the start-ID data?
>>
>> The SGI workstation drives can read audio data from DAT tapes and get
>> the A-time data, but you'll have to hack up some code to do anything
>> useful with it, because of course there is no place to put it in a
>> standard .wav file.
>> --scott
>
> Yeah, I was meaning the indexes points and their time/date stamps. I
> was hoping for some black magic to save a lot of work. I realise it
> was a long-shot. Thanks heaps anyway.

Perhaps try the DAT-Heads Digest
http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/
Someone is bound to have had a bash at this.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>Subject: Re: Capturing digital Dolphins
>From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
>Date: 8/19/04 6:16 AM Mountain Daylight Time
>Message-id: <cg25ms$f2m$1@panix2.panix.com>
>
>In article <f152fa9f.0408182041.50b1d662@posting.google.com>,
>Weka <fakeantony@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> By timestamps you mean the A-time data, or you mean the start-ID data?
>>>
>>> The SGI workstation drives can read audio data from DAT tapes and get
>>> the A-time data, but you'll have to hack up some code to do anything
>>> useful with it, because of course there is no place to put it in a
>>> standard .wav file.
>>
>>Yeah, I was meaning the indexes points and their time/date stamps. I
>>was hoping for some black magic to save a lot of work. I realise it
>>was a long-shot. Thanks heaps anyway.
>
>The start-IDs are easy.... they get transmitted on an S-PDIF line and a
>lot of software out there can be set up to put a mark or start a new file
>when it gets a start-ID. A-time is harder. If you had used a timecode
>machine, you'd have been better off.
>--scott
>--
>"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
>

The Sony machines have a sub code area that records the time of day and date in
addition to the usual "A" time and index points.

AFAIK there is no way to subtract this information.

Too bad, because it is really handy in documentation.

I can transfer my DAT's to my HHB 830 BurnIt and still save the index points.
though.
Richard H. Kuschel
"I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>
> The start-IDs are easy.... they get transmitted on an S-PDIF line and a
> lot of software out there can be set up to put a mark or start a new file
> when it gets a start-ID. A-time is harder. If you had used a timecode
> machine, you'd have been better off.

Scott - I've only just noticed this post. I know my old Zefiro ZA2
card's DOS software can do this but can you name any more modern
hardware/software that has the ability to capture start ID's? At some
point I'm going to have to retire my old ZA2.

Cheers.

James.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Audio 0
Kohaku Bekunin Audio 0
Jimmiew0612 Audio 0
Joevillabz Audio 3
F Audio 3
B Audio 1
S Audio 3
S Audio 0
billsam Audio 1
dudunnpesto Audio 1
B Audio 2
M Audio 1
C Audio 3
V Audio 1
A Audio 1
M Audio 5
C Audio 4
B Audio 14
V Audio 5
A Audio 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY