Capturing Problem with Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 DV

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am using Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 DV and WinXP Pro. And I have 48GB of Harddrive. For some reason, everytime when it reach 29mins. It will say there is something wrong with capturing, maybe it went out of space. Does anyone know why?

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
There is a limit on, i think, FAT32 drives (this means the way the drive is formatted), which prevented files from becoming over 2 GB in size. This used to be fine, but with DV it became a problem. From memory (i prepare to be corrected) some people such as Ulead found a way round it, to increase the limit to 4 GB. The limit is still there however.
This is what i suspect with your problem, and can be corrected by changing your drive from FAT32 to NTFS (under Windows 2000 and XP only). There are some issues to consider before doing this however.
Let me know if this is indeed your problem.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">My <font color=orange>Editing</font color=orange> & <font color=green>Gaming</font color=green> Machine</A>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
When capturing with the Ulead software you can have it break itself into smaller files automatically. The setting is in the configuration menu. Just set it to <2GB, and you should be fine. BTW I've captured up to 12GB before without a problem...Using that same software and OS. Are you using NTFS file system?

Get your own sig!!! :tongue:

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I am just using FAT32. The reason is because I want other computers with other OS on the network being able to read the files on my computer.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Actually, other computers will perfectly understand the file system of your computer even if NTFS instead of FAT32 is used. The reason is because it's your computer and not the other computers which performs the actual file read/write.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I'd just like to add that even though i have removed my limit on capturing (i use NTFS), i actually chose to keep file sizes down to under 2 GB because i then have to edit & work with them. Going through 6 5-minute files is a damn-site easier than going through a single 30 minute file.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">My <font color=orange>Editing</font color=orange> & <font color=green>Gaming</font color=green> Machine</A>