Car Amplifier and wiring questions

944s2Cab

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Scenario: I just got and old convertible back on the road and the last thing I need to do is get the audio system working. The car currently has a new Sony head unit, 6 Polk speakers (4 door, 2 rear) and 1 10in pioneer shallow mount sub, with an 8 gauge power and ground supply. Space in the trunk is extremely limited.

I'm not looking for booming bass, just solid, well rounded sound.

Question: Can I run this setup with a single amplifier? If so, how many channels, how powerful, in what configuration should I connect the speakers, and will the 8 gauge power supply be sufficient?

If they bothered to give it an 8 gauge, they probably already gave it an amplifier(s), are you sure it doesn't have one?

I had a 25x4 Rockford Fosgate (often under-spec) using 2 channels for the fronts, and the remaining 2 channels ganged for an 8" sub, let my receiver built-in to drive the 2 rears and I was reasonably happy with it. Not a lot of air need to move in the confined of a car. Open top, that's another issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Audio 0
B Audio 3
D Audio 0
bala9216 Audio 0
I Audio 3
J Audio 1
V Audio 13
K Audio 1
G Audio 7
W Audio 1
R Audio 1
J Audio 8
P Audio 3
G Audio 2
E Audio 5
T Audio 9
T Audio 2
C Audio 3
M Audio 1
L Audio 2
Similar threads
Question Does my power of receiver match the power of the speaker needed?
Question Static background noise when using amplifier. How do I fix
Question Why is the TV Audio coming via ARC enabled HDBaseT through Receiver not being amplified?
Question Yamaha YHT196 - HTR 2064 AV receiver not turning on?
Question AVR > Rowland Research Pre-Amp > Rowland Research Amplifier. Correct wiring
Painters just finished my home and I had exterior wire that was wired years ago from my amplifier outside along the shingles t
I bought Pioneer Vsx 330K amplifier but my subwoofer is passive can I connect the wires to front speaker
How can I wire 1svc 4ohm 12 and 1 svc 2 ohm with 1 dvc kicker 2 ohm to a 2 ohm boss amplifier
Two sets of wires out of AIWA speakers to connect to AKAI AM-2200 amplifier
Alexa via mini amplifier, then speaker output wires to aux input on hi-fi for better sound quality, then output to speakers?
Wire confusion - connecting Passive Klipsch R-14 Speakers to Harmon Kardon 3490 Receiver
Solved! Is it possible to connect two passive speakers to only one amplifier output?
900 gigahertz amplified speaker changed to wired speaker for computer
I have a 16ohm tweeter and a 4 ohm bass/mid speaker wired into a crossover. I am assuming the amplifier will see 3.2ohms. Can
How do I wire this?
How do I wire my speakers to my amplifier?
Cheap amplifier to connect 5.1 bare wire speakers to PC
Amp advice and how to wire speakers up to an amp and then amp to laptop.
How to wire 8 ohm speakers to 4-16 ohm amplifier
Wiring speakers to my amplifier

ASK THE COMMUNITY