Carmack: App Store Is 'Model of the Future'

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Let's compare the programs/apps found in iOS and Ubuntu.

App Store:
85% - Apps that do not work and costs good money
10% - Apps that work, but sucks and costs a buck
1% - Apps that have a meaning or is actually fun
4% - Paid apps that will never be used after you buy them

Ubuntu Software Centre:
>99% - Programs that work and serves a good purpose and is free

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
C'mon Carmack, give us a break. It's been pretty clear to the majority of us over the course of the last few months that you're in Apple's pockets.

If any distribution channel is going to take over it's going to be something like Steam.

But the way it's looking these days, each company will have its own "App Store" or whatever name they want to front it as.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
He's right about the online distribution model. He's wrong only about mentioning only the AppStore and not the Android Market, for instance, not to say Steam.
But everybody already realized that by now; re-stating the facts doesn't make them more obvious than already are. I guess he had to step on the Apple pedal because he's working on that RAGE deal with them. One has to "lick" the hand that feeds them, right?

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I am so glad that people hate Apple as much as I hated Microsoft from 98 - present. People can bag on SJ on being a dickhead but look at Ballmer and THAT is a tool.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
He is not wrong by not mentioning Steam or the Android store. He simply is stating the fact that many business models will be shifting to what Apple is doing.

He used Apple's App store as the example because its the most successful example of online distribution in relation to the point he was trying to make.

Apparently many of you missed it. You just saw "Apple" and immediately when into "bash mode" without thinking through what he is actually stating.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wow, clearly no one can escape the Apple hype!

its called 'Steam', Carmack... it came first...

sure, it might be a bit harder to get on there... but watch me NOT shed a tear for the lack of fart apps on it...

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The way multiple providers are creating their own Android store fronts illustrates the point pretty well too. I personally avoid buying packaged software if I can get it through digital distribution instead.

I think the only time I buy boxed software any more is with game consoles.

On a side note, Rage MBTV is cheesy. The upcoming games using the Unreal engine will be far more impressive.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]^^another guy who does not get it.[/citation]

That guy being yourself?

Steam PREDATES the Apple App store by five years, and laid all the non communication level groundwork for such a distribution platform. ATT, Cox and all other telecom services working on their end as well to provide the bandwidth. Apple just waited for all the groundwork to be laid for it in the key areas (3G to be commonplace, the disro model to be hashed out, smartphones becoming a status symbol)

I'm not bashing Apple because they made a PoS that works (PoS not to be confused with a POS) I'm just saying they're not innovating here in any way shape or form.

Now as for Carmak he's just busy being Apple's newest "cool guy you attractive people with lots of money and are obviously important should listen to". I just have one thing to say to him. Your game better be the biggest thign to hit FPS's since Counter Strike AND Halo combined, because aligning with Apple like you have is a VERY bold statement in a community that pays for your bread and butter, and as a majority dislikes Apple.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
His comments about digitial distribution stores are spot on.

He should have mentioned the Android App store too, and Steam (obviously).

On the mobile platform i'd say Android Market will eventually become better than the App Store due to it's more open nature.

And i doubt anything will de-rail Steam from being the chief Digi Distro for games. They do such a brilliant job.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Could someone at Toms (Guide/Hardware/whatever) please keep these bizzare scammy adds out of the forums and article posts, I'm sick and tired of seeing this garbage.

G

"Most of the rest of the stuff graphics-wise was me just dredging up stuff that I was doing ten or fifteen years ago on other platforms and re-implementing it here."

This has John Carmack FAIL written all over it!!!!

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Give credit where credit is due. Apple is not the pioneer here. Steam is! Is Carmack some sort of Apple fanboy now? He is just killing his relevance.

iphone girl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
People want to give Steam all the credit well Itunes was around before steam. So it was an electronic download model even before Steam. Steam does not have the momentum that the appstore does either so why would it be a model anyone would want to model? You 12-20 year old kiddies need to get a clue.

Carmack > All of you

akymi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
[citation][nom]iphone girl[/nom]People want to give Steam all the credit well Itunes was around before steam. So it was an electronic download model even before Steam. Steam does not have the momentum that the appstore does either so why would it be a model anyone would want to model? You 12-20 year old kiddies need to get a clue. Carmack > All of you[/citation]

This.

John Carmack + Johnny Cash + George Carlin = god

Status
Not open for further replies.