Carmack: iPhone 3GS Can Run id Tech 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
seems weird someone would call for a slow down in hardware advancement, but then, he's only looking at it from a sale's perspective from his side of the story. it just seems like they don't want to have to code a detection system to run different settings when it detects 3GS hardware vs the old stuff...

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I see this as, sony just milking the market out. Since the Iphone is faster overal. The PSP is like what? 5 years old already? They should make a new one with atleast better graphics and gameplay. They are letting Iphone take market share if the industry starts making games for the Iphone. Even my EEEPC kan handle light gaming. So they should make atleast a way more powerfull psp to defend it's title.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
radium69... what the hell are you even on about? this has nothing to do with the PSP... how ever did you link the two here?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Radium69,

You completely missed the point of the whole article. The point that Carmack is trying to make is that you should try to AVOID making incremental hardware upgrades! Otherwise the majority of devices available are not compatible with the latest software, which is definitely something that Apple does not want.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
"Carmack, normally one to embrace the growth of computing power."

That hasn't been true for a while now. Carmack has repeatedly said that idTech5 won't push the limits of computing power. Remember when id engines actually did? I'm not saying it's a bad business decision, given the dominance of the aged hardware that is found in the console market, but it makes me sad to see id racing for the bottom instead of pushing the envelope.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Oh boy, I just can't wait to run home from work, sit down on the couch, and play Doom on my giant screen...um...iPhone.

This is the dumbest thought I've had all day.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
come on carmack, u've been making games for PCs for years, this is what its like. what do you want them to do? just release one iphone? ever? i'm sure doom 3 would have had a shader and non shader version? i know hl2 did (dx7 and dx9 support). sure its a pain in the arse, but COME ON!
also, "Carmack has repeatedly said that idTech5 won't push the limits of computing power" if this is true, then the greatest engine programmer ever has given up (fair enough, he more than anyone in the games industry has earned his retirement). this may mean the death of PC gaming, and the death of technical advancement in graphics for all gaming. very sad. mind you, it has been obvious for years, after quake III it has been a case of diminishing returns with regards to game graphics.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The iphone itself is a new generation of mobile computing and looking at it from a gaming perspective the might be right about different hardware but like its been said thats the way it works with computers.
Id much rather be able to open my webpage faster than have apple force me to run the 3.0 software on slower hardware which to me seems 20% slower overall than 2.0.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]iPhone Doom is really lame. Follow a railroad-like path and tap on evil monsters as they pop up? Boring.[/citation]

i Agree... Doom is a joke and looks like crap. At the moment almost all the iphone games are really lame. I have snes/psx/genesis/gameboy and MAME emulators and they run like shit.

Time will tell, perhaps the 3Gs will get some good games.

[citation][nom]gryphyn[/nom]Oh boy, I just can't wait to run home from work, sit down on the couch, and play Doom on my giant screen...um...iPhone.This is the dumbest thought I've had all day.[/citation]
I play games on my Iphone all the time… even @ home sometimes I will play for 5-10 mins. I leave the real gaming for my PC though. I honestly don’t see why you wouldn’t want games on your phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.