Carrier IQ Spyware Discovered in Millions of Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Your iPhone, Nokia, BlackBerry or Android device may or may not have keystroke-sniffing software called Carrier IQ embedded at the root.

May NOT.

Because...

Nokia-1200-5.jpg

I dare you to install any 3-rd party software on this thing.

:D

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It's gonna cost CIQ more money than they ever made by selling this stupid app to the greedy carriers to begin with.
Really, they thought this is gonna fly under the radar for ever... really? Not only greedy, but stupid, too.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
CIQ will be the fall guy for big cellular's wiretapping, they will go bankrupt and AT&T will just fund another company (maybe even the same people) to make the same kind of software

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
So far, it looks like my preferred smartphone platform, WP7, is free of any of this scourge (at least for now).
Funny how the company that every ignorant tom dick and harry likes to point to as an example of 'evil' treats its customers the best and with the most respect...

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
How do I find out if my phone has it? How do I remove it? Thanks Tom's for missing the most important bit of information!

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]How do I find out if my phone has it? How do I remove it? Thanks Tom's for missing the most important bit of information![/citation]
Watch the video and you'd see, rather than looking like a stupid retard!

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
CarrierIQ is actually SO BAD, that someone should go to prison for a good long time for this if there's any justice at all. I mean, they put spammers in prison, or kids that take down amazon for like 8 hours with a DOS attack, this carrier IQ stuff could lead to the death penalty and that would still be proportional to the crime.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Once this became public i dont see a real problem with it, for people wanting privacy they should stop using phones with this thing on it and stop buying phones from companies that choose to spy on you. For me its far more worrying that a terrorist organization( CIA ) can wiretap you, spy on you, kidnap and torture you without any government official or court speaks up against it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
hmm i think all the congressmen who have this on their phones should have every bit of info CIQ has on them brought to the table when they start objecting to the FCC and FTC authority issues currently at hand and displayed before them and ask if they want that authority removed that is protecting them from having all their information and what ever skeletons attached in them used against them by corporations, the general public, and the DOJ. oh wait, congress members can't be held accountable to our laws while in public office, like their insider trading proves during the economic meltdown and GM/Chrysler & bank bail outs.
such a pity!
guess the french had those same rules to make them behead most of their leadership and place their heads on silver platters for all to see.

G

Jeeze. Remember the uproar when Google accidentally recorded some unencrypted WiFi traffic (which they never used)? This is 100X more serious. The lawsuits and criminal investigations against Google all over the world were insane.

Yet somehow I suspect AT&T is going to pay off some lawmakers to defang any enforcement. Sad.

G

Oh Al's going to show them...What a joke, kind of like the time he was running his mouth about Jamie Leigh Jones and trying to push through legislation based on her rape claim that was dismissed. It's sickening to see representatives like Al Franken act like they're doing the American People a service by protecting our right to privacy, while at the same time stepping all over our right to privacy. Anything can be used for nefarious purposes, to block or ban a voluntarily data collection services because of abuse takes away our rights as well.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]So far, it looks like my preferred smartphone platform, WP7, is free of any of this scourge (at least for now).Funny how the company that every ignorant tom dick and harry likes to point to as an example of 'evil' treats its customers the best and with the most respect...[/citation]

While I don't have anything against MS, and like a lot of their stuff, I'm not as sure as you are that it doesn't exist as it's not the manufacturers that are adding this functionality, it's the carriers. They didn't mention it was not on their devices either, it just wasn't mentioned, but Nokia does make W7 phones and they did have it on theirs, so who knows.

ATM, I have a rooted android, hopefully that keeps me safe for now.

popatim

Splendid
Y'all realize the politcal clout this company has now with every dirty politician now firmly in its pocket right?

I wonder how many 'secrets' they have been selling or blackmailing for...

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
I don't text. Hardly email. Don't have a facebook account or twitter. There are very few pictures of me in existance. My name is so common that you'd get thousands of hits on google if you did a search. No...I'm not paranoid....

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
A device being able to track details about everyone's habits must be a major concern to mankind for It's a large step towards gaining control over peoples. I'm not preaching they're a sign of doomsday but they're sure to obliterate all the remaing local culture in favour of globalized standards, leading to globalitarism.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
CIQ is pretty disgusting indeed. I feel like breaking my contract with my phone carrier. Imagine the bastards having all your passwords to all you accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.