Carrying a laptop by the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Can your Laptop screen get damaged from carrying the laptop by holding the screen if that makes sense .
(so holding the screen to carry the laptop leaving the main bit hanging down).

mknabster

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
It really depends on how heavy and/or how fragile the computer is. I have to confess that i do that with our work laptops all the time, granted they are business class and built a bit better than consumer class, but carrying it by the bezel of a 4lb, 14in laptop isn't too big a deal, but anything bigger i wouldn't recommend, saw with something like a MacBook Air.

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I don't really do that but my aunty does that and her laptop screen stopped working out of the blue...

When she carries my laptop i tell her to carry it by the base just to be sure (mine= Asus X54H sx270V, hers = dell inspirion 1545...).

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
yes, the grip from your fingers can crush parts of the screen.
Or it may also put stress on the hinges and bust that too.

Depends on luck/and specific laptop, just like anythign else.
I'm sure there will be a guy who says I do it all the time no problem.
But also a guy who says, I did it once, and now I have bad pixel lines all through my screen, or broken hinge...

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Unfortunate...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
As others have said, it really depends. I do this with my work laptop occasionally, but just to move a few inches. I wouldn't do it with my own laptop though no matter how sturdy it is :)

If she uses the screen like a handle, I would suggest she find a new way to carry it around, because that is simply tempting fate.

As far as the screen not working goes, does the laptop make any sound when it loads windows and/or does it work with an external monitor hooked up? It could be unrelated to the screen.

I frequently have to replace screens on broken laptops that come into my business for repair. I've just replaced a Vaio screen which had a thumbmark on teh top right hand corner of the screen - cost to my customer £57.66 for teh screen and £40 for me. At the back and towards the top of the replacement screen - where the user will never see it - is written the legend "DO NOT TOUCH" because that's where the fragile circuitry is located.

In addition to screen damage it's also worth pointing out that laptop hard drives are vulnerable too. If you sit using your laptop then stand up, gripping it by the thumbs either side of the touchpad and fingers underneath, you can actually hear the disk grinding to a halt on some models. Sometimes, the disk never spins again.

I say this so you don't have to find out the hard way. :D

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Fixed now (got a replacement), it was either the video cable or LCD power or something else to do with the screen as everything else worked fine (had to use my computer monitor as a temporary replacement which annoyed me...).

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

That top area is usually where my auntie carries it (i think she stopped maybe, probably not).

Not sure about the hard drive thing, my laptops hard drive head parks itself when the laptop is switched off or in standby but i have never heard of that problem.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
There's not a whole lot more I can add that hasn't been said, but if you think about a laptop, most of the weight is in the lower section, and the display hinges are simply not designed for that sort of use. So, best case scenario anyone who does this long-term will wear out those hinges and the display will no longer stay open on its own. Worst case scenario, one day the hinges break, and you now have a laptop in two pieces.

I would say it is a supremely bad idea to carry a laptop in that fashion. It will ultimately lead to some rather expensive repairs.

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Unless its under warranty, replaced the screen for free, my laptop had problems when i first got it (2011 christmas), Asus replaced the HDD and MOBO for screen but ended up paying for delivery because they came when no one was home and once they lost the laptop but i got it back in the end.....

Kind of off topic..

But carrying by screen is a :non: (looks like its swearing at you a little).

I carry my laptop either like a book or hold it by the base, my other auntie (got a few.....) got angry and smashed her laptop screen (don't know why, crazy maybe?), got it replaced for free not sure if she made up an excuse or the extended guarantee you get from retailers covers 'accidental damage' but she dodged an expensive price for a replacement screen.

Any of you have storys about laptops and stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.