Casting to my Chromecast switches my TV AWAY from the active input to an empty input

coasterman927

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Hi all, hoping someone here can help me with this issue as I'm a bit perplexed.

I have a Samsung KU6300 TV and a Vizio 5.1 surround sound bar connected via HDMI-ARC (HDMI 3 on the TV). I have a 5x1 HDMI Switch plugged into the sound bar, so that all of my sources route through the sound bar first before going to the TV.

This means that as far as the TV is concerned, there is a single input on the TV via HDMI 3. The 5x1 HDMI Switch should handle switching active inputs for me, or so I hoped.

What's weird is that whenever I start to cast something to my Chromecast or turn on my PS4, both of which are plugged into the switch and thus are essentially plugged into the HDMI 3 input on my TV, the TV switches to HDMI 1, which is 100% empty.

This is the switch I am using: https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Awakelion-Premium-Quality-Switcher/dp/B06WV5YJ6H

It seems that I can "fix" this problem by turning off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC), but that also breaks the HDMI-ARC connection to my sound bar, and I don't want to have to connect my sound bar via optical audio because I like being able to use the TV's remote to control the volume and having its power synced with the TV.

So what gives? Is the problem with the HDMI Switch, or with my TV?

Solution

Understood. Clearly it's the software in your Samsung KU6300 TV which is forcing this switch to HDMI 1. Take a closer look at the Samsung manual, you might be able to see something in there. Also check if there is a firmware update available for the Samsung KU6300. If you can't find any solution to this problem yourself, i would contact Samsung Customer Support for help with this issue, as they would have a better idea for you.

rocktalkrock

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I'm not clear why you can't plug your HDMI switch to your TV's HDMI 1 input if it's not being used for anything else? If your Samsung TV, for what ever reason insists on using HDMI 1, why fight it?

coasterman927

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

That's because HDMI 3 is the ARC input -- I would lose ARC functionality if I used HDMI 1.

rocktalkrock

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Understood. Clearly it's the software in your Samsung KU6300 TV which is forcing this switch to HDMI 1. Take a closer look at the Samsung manual, you might be able to see something in there. Also check if there is a firmware update available for the Samsung KU6300. If you can't find any solution to this problem yourself, i would contact Samsung Customer Support for help with this issue, as they would have a better idea for you.

Solution