CD drive on a Acer Aspire e15 es1-511-c723

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envitoria

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
I cant seem to the get the cd drive open, if even what i see on the right side on the laptop is even a cd drive, if it is or not can someone please help me

AwesomeDarien

Estimable
May 19, 2015

I have the exact model and I too am having trouble ejecting the disk tray. It's a BD-Rom Drive that simply won't open when I click "eject".

If you have that "exact model", it didn't come with a CD/DVD drive, much less a Blu-ray drive. It's a $350 (Canadian $, no less) laptop.

It is merely a blank panel meant to cover the hole where the optical drive would be on other models that use the same chassis.

It makes one wonder if the panel were removed, would the connector for an optical drive still be inside, and just not utilized...

ffg7

Splendid
I was wondering that too when looking at 1 of my customers' laptops but I didn't want to mess up her warranty to see. I've seen some laptops come with 2 bays for hard drives but only 1 connector was there as other was not soldered to the board.

Mark Nichols

Estimable
May 24, 2015

I just opened up one of these for my father in law to add memory (had to take the whole thing apart, instead of the usual 2 screws for an access panel, but still only took about 15 minutes). It has a slot and SATA port (I think "slimline") attached to the main board. Looking at the specs, and kits for putting another hard drive or SSD in there, it is a 9.5 mm slot, that makes the drives I found on amazon that would fit there quite expensive. You can get a 12 mm one for $20. Sigh.

coolmark1995

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

Hey I know this post is old and all but did you ever get a 12mm to fight in an es1-511? if so ill be ordering one please get back to me thanks

I highly doubt that he even tried. Most likely not even remotely possible. 2.5mm is a huge difference.
This SHOULD work, but make sure it can be returned if it doesn't:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Ultrabay-Drive-43N3214/dp/B008AZRLSQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1447708570&sr=8-10&keywords=9.5mm+optical+drive

Not sure how you'll find a matching bezel piece for the front of the drive, though. Unless the panel covering the hole now is just a bezel piece. Drive bezels just snap on and are usually swappable if you already have one that fits. The gentleman that took his laptop apart can probably answer the bezel issue.

Also, that little black tab sticking out from the rear of the drive will probably need to be removed so the drive can be inserted completely into the connector of your non-Lenovo laptop.

tinaat1013

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
There is a small button on the outside of the drive. Push it in then green lights will appear and it will open.
NOTE: The button is very small; about 1/2" X 1 centimeter. I had to actually look at the drive to find it - but it's there! Hope this helps.

If you have an eject button on your Acer, then it isn't the EXACT same model # as the original poster has (e15 es1-511-c723).

Status
Not open for further replies.