Cd Drive on Toshiba L850 Laptop

lydneynexus

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I am having problems with my CD drive on my Toshiba laptop, it is to do with the metal sheet that is inside of the drive, one of the clips has broken off, so an edge is pointing upwards which makes a grinding sound when a CD turns inside of it. I do not want to buy a new CD drive for it, due to the costs and having to take the laptop apart to replace the CD drive. I have done lots of research online, but can't find anything regarding replacements for a metal sheet, if you are unsure of what I am on about, then it is the metal sheet that is where the motor and laser sits. I hope someone can provide me with a solution, if not, then I might be looking at an external CD drive as an alternative.

Solution
A replacement drive can be had for probably 20 bucks, and disassembly amounts to removing 2 screws, pulling the old drive out, removing the 2 screws holding the little bracket on the old drive, and mounting the bracket on the new drive. Then you take the plastic bezel off the front of the old drive and snap it on the new drive and slide the new drive in. Reinstall the one screw that holds the drive into the laptop, then replace the bottom access panel and tighten the hold down screw. The whole procedure takes 10 minutes, and that's if you take your time. I wouldn't even bother with the annoyance of an external optical drive, but that's just me. Here's a video showing the initial disassembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktURzL_sx-s
A replacement drive can be had for probably 20 bucks, and disassembly amounts to removing 2 screws, pulling the old drive out, removing the 2 screws holding the little bracket on the old drive, and mounting the bracket on the new drive. Then you take the plastic bezel off the front of the old drive and snap it on the new drive and slide the new drive in. Reinstall the one screw that holds the drive into the laptop, then replace the bottom access panel and tighten the hold down screw. The whole procedure takes 10 minutes, and that's if you take your time. I wouldn't even bother with the annoyance of an external optical drive, but that's just me. Here's a video showing the initial disassembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktURzL_sx-s

Solution