Question CD Rom doesn't see the jpg files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2019
Hi, My Toshiba Sattelite of 2007 is still working fine, except the CD rom stopped seeing the jpg files on cd discs. It sees mp3 files or xvid files (audio and video are played just fine), but when I put a disc with pictures it offers to burn a disc, as if it is an blank cd. I tried on different cd discs with pictures on them. Same result. I already reinstalled the CD drive, updated it etc, no solution yet. Any hope to fix it? thank you). Could it be that some other programme doesn't allow cd rom to read jpg files? if so, which could it be and how to fix it? thank you one more time.

The first thing to try is asking a friend if you could see if their PC's CD facility gives you a better result. A file is a file and if a device refuses one suffix but not another, it becomes a mystery.

Does the laptop display .jpg files which aren't stored on the CD?

Jul 11, 2019
Hi, thanks for the reply. My Toshiba sees jpg files on a different drive ( C). And used to it was able to see them on cd rom. Those jpg discs played just fine at my work computer. I read online that someone had the same issue with this same model of the laptop. So I still wonder..

Jul 11, 2019
Did you burn the pictures yourself to the CD? Is it a CD or DVD?

Does the CD have scratches on it?

Can other drives see the pictures?
Hi, thanks for the reply. I burned the pictures myself. These are cd discs. They are about 5 years old (plus /minus) .There may be some scratches on them. But I tried different cd discs, same result- cd rom offers to burn a new disc, as if the disc is blank. A week ago, from the 5th attempt, but it saw the jpg file, and on 4 others nothing happened, it was trying to read it, but was failing evidently. After that poignant experience i deleted virtual drives and reinstalled the cd rom drive

The lifetime of CDs is limited, especially self burned ones.
If the CDs can´t be read from other drives, the CD´s data/pictures would be lost.

If the CD drive is the problem, you can try cleaning the lense of the drive with alcohol or glasses wipe

Status
Not open for further replies.