Cell phone spyware through phishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef_1

Estimable
Jul 13, 2016
Hi,

Is it possible to send hidden code in a video/picture/gif etc sent from contact via Whatsapp to get spyware on a phone?

I believe mine was compromised like this - I don't mean clicking on fake links sent by spam but rather from a "trusted" contact

If so whats the safest way to protect from this?

Is Apple still the most secure OS?

While there's a chance this could simply just be FUD I do believe it happened - I also believe my router fell victim to DNS hijacking as I would find unrecognized packets being sent - presumably this would be another way into my android phone via updates/downloads when connected?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is it possible to get malware installed on a device via phishing? Absolutely!

Clicking on the wrong thing or accepting a file from an unknown source can certainly infect you.

Resetting your router and ensuring that your admin and network passwords are changed (and complex) should take care of it. Be sure its firmware is up to date as well.

What type of phone are you using? There are legit apps that can help protect it.

Stef_1

Estimable
Jul 13, 2016
I was using the router that my ISP sent me - I have now swapped to a DrayTek.

The phone is a Samsung.

Getting a new phone on Monday and deciding between another Android and Iphone

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have a backup of your phone (before the incident occurred)? If so, you could reset the phone (wiping it) and restore your files/settings. An infection does not mean you need a new phone.

Stef_1

Estimable
Jul 13, 2016
Great, now scared to click on anything - I mean what's really the point of sending GIFs anyway...

joesemos

Banned
BANNED
Oct 22, 2019
Well from now onward's I will always alert while clicking on some Ad or another phishing link. Thanks for informing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.