Cellphone download speeds incredibly slow!

alexander_brown94

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I have a Boost Warp Sequent and the download speeds are horrendous. I've tested on Speedtest.com on both my phone and my desktop, desktop is around 26mbps and phone is 206kbps. I've tried disabling the WMM support, which was suggested by a few blogs I checked but it didn't work. I rebooted my router, rebooted my phone, all the usual things but to no avail. Could I get some help here? That would be fantastic.

Solution
4G is the current standard for smartphones. Depending on the cellphone provider the max speed is between 5mps and 12mps. Of course that is under perfect conditions.

If you want faster internet on your phone, then you need to buy a 4G smartphone.

Also note that "unlimited data" only applies up to 2.5GB of data usage. Once that limited has been reached the download speed will be restricted. So if you have a 4G phone and you go over 2.5GB before the billing month ends, your download speed will be reduced to 3G (or less).
Your desktop probably cable internet service which is more or less a direct line between you can the service provider. Nothing beats the speed of a direct connection.

Cellphones use wireless technology and is extremely limited compared to a wired connection. The theoretical download speed of 3G (which is the type of phone you have) is 600Kbps outdoors; it will be lower indoors since walls do tend to block wireless transfers. The exception is if you have a wireless network at home and the cellphone can connect to the wireless network. Transfer rates can be a max of 2Mbps. Your cellphone provider can restrict 3G speeds to below the theoretical max.

alexander_brown94

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I'm actually running my desktop connection off my wireless router, which is a linksys E900. I have my WiFi on my phone on also. sorry for not mentioning that! Also, my previous phone was a LG Optimus S and its download speeds were on par with my desktops.

4G is the current standard for smartphones. Depending on the cellphone provider the max speed is between 5mps and 12mps. Of course that is under perfect conditions.

If you want faster internet on your phone, then you need to buy a 4G smartphone.

Also note that "unlimited data" only applies up to 2.5GB of data usage. Once that limited has been reached the download speed will be restricted. So if you have a 4G phone and you go over 2.5GB before the billing month ends, your download speed will be reduced to 3G (or less).

Solution

Don't know. It could be a limitation with the cellphone's design specs.