Certain fan(s) on my laptop are excessively loud

fromansk6

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
This is a problem that I've been stuck with for over a year now, but I've never bothered to do ask anyone about it until now.

I don't use my laptop a great deal since my primary computer is my desktop gaming rig but recently I've been using it more. It is nearing 5 years of age so it's old and slow as one would expect. Roughly a year ago, I woke up to find that it was making a loud noise (presumably from a fan) that would simply not go away. That's not entirely true; it will seemingly randomly disappear and reappear and when it is present it varies in volume. It's not terribly annoying to me personally (I've gotten used to it); however, with the semester rapidly approaching I would like to be able to use my laptop during class but wouldn't dare to do so because it would be incredibly annoying to everyone in the room.

From what little I can gather, it is not the regular cooling fans. By this I mean the non CPU/GPU/PSU fans. I say this because on occasion I can hear the regular fans and they are different from the problematic fan(s). I've also used a fan controlling software to adjust the fan levels and it makes no difference to the problematic fans. I've also disassembled the laptop against my better judgement, cleaned out the fans, and the problem still persists (not that there was really any dust inside to begin with).

I've been trying things for ages now and it still is a problem. My best guess is that it's just old and dying and there's little that can be done, but you guys always seem to have a fix for everything. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Solution
The thermal paste on the CPU / GPU may need to be reapplied.

Also ... it may be overheating (causing the fans to run flat out) because you have too many programs running in the background on your laptop ... try uninstalling any crap ... run a virus scan and use some malware removal software as well.

Use something like process explorer to see what is running in the background.

Press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" and then choose "Task Manager". Alternatively you can press "Ctrl + Shift + Esc" to directly open task manager. #2: To see a list of processes that are running on your computer, click "processes". Scroll down to view the list of hidden and visible programs.
The thermal paste on the CPU / GPU may need to be reapplied.

Also ... it may be overheating (causing the fans to run flat out) because you have too many programs running in the background on your laptop ... try uninstalling any crap ... run a virus scan and use some malware removal software as well.

Use something like process explorer to see what is running in the background.

Press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" and then choose "Task Manager". Alternatively you can press "Ctrl + Shift + Esc" to directly open task manager. #2: To see a list of processes that are running on your computer, click "processes". Scroll down to view the list of hidden and visible programs.

Solution