Changed bios settings on Asus laptop and now all I get is a black screen

ehsankhodayar

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi
Recently I was working with boot options in my laptop and everything was OK but I choose an option about boot up and sadly screen became black and I trun it off and on but nothing happened I closed the ram -hard drive- closed buttery put on the power button for a while and ... but nothing changed at the end I disassembled it but I didn't find bios buttery to restart it .
Although the monitor LED is is turn on and the shift LED at the begin is on after a short time It goes to be off
and the hard LED is off at all
I tried to copy bios files on a CD and put it into the laptop but nothing changed.
My laptop's model is : asus n56 do
Please help me it makes me crazy.

Solution

You may need to find your CMOS battery and remove it. Leave it out with no power to the laptop for 24 hours, and then re-insert it. Doing this will reset your BIOS and you should be able to get a picture after that if the problem was the BIOS setting you changed. You may need to disassemble the laptop to get to the battery though, so be careful!

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I have been through such situation before, my bios got corrupted while updating and I had to send the laptop for service so they can replace the bios.
if you changed one of your bios settings this wouldn`t ruin your bios but if you boot and something happened there while booting that corrupted the bios then there is nothing you can do, even if your computer is not under warranty just send it over, your whole bios chip.

ehsankhodayar

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks from your help I think I have to do this.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
is your laptop still under warranty ? if so when you talk with customer service, don`t tell them you opened the laptop otherwise they might consider this a voiding of your warranty,

If all you changed was boot priority, all you should need to do is use the hotkey to boot back into the BIOS setup utility, then change the primary boot option to your hard drive. You really cannot corrupt your firmware by making a change from within the setup. Corruption happens from making changes to the code (such as flashing).

Have you tried to power cycle the laptop?

ehsankhodayar

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know what is hot key in my laptop and I don't understand your expectation about power cycle.
The model of my laptop is asus n56dp

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
What he means by hotkey is when pressing del or f10 to enter bios, resetting power cycle is when u remove the battery and power adaptor making sure the laptop is not connecting to power then pressing the power botton for 30 or 40 sec then reconnect everything and try to boot, his right this might work give it a shot, other reason that might actually corrupt ur bios is when u force shutdown ur pc while booting or the computer looses bower while it boots.

ehsankhodayar

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

OK by pressing for or del button nothing happened and I have tested power cycle in the past but nothing changed.

You may need to find your CMOS battery and remove it. Leave it out with no power to the laptop for 24 hours, and then re-insert it. Doing this will reset your BIOS and you should be able to get a picture after that if the problem was the BIOS setting you changed. You may need to disassemble the laptop to get to the battery though, so be careful!

Solution