Changing Graphics Card

dillon_15

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Hello All,
So I just got a new ASUS X555QA Laptop. I found out the hard way that it only has a 512 MB Graphics card which as you probably know doesn't do much these days. I know for most cases, a laptop graphcs card cannot be replaced but is it possible to replace the graphics card on this laptop?

jaguarskx

Champion
No, you cannot upgrade the graphics. Based on a little research, that laptop relies on the integrated graphics core of the A10-9600P APU; the Radeon R5 (Bristol Ridge) graphics core. Because the A10-9600P APU is soldered into the motherboard, there is no way to upgrade the graphics.

Generally speaking, only specific gaming laptop models that cost $1,400 USD will give you the option to upgrade the GPU. However, the magic phrase is "specific model", because there are plenty of $2,000 - $3,000 USD laptops that does not allow you to upgrade the GPU.

fry178

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
not so much the problem swapping the physical chip, but you are also looking at higher power/cooling needs, which is most of the time the issue.
the A10 is already the largest chip.

you might be better off waiting until new units come out with zen/7700 series, as prices will drop.

saving for a new unit might be best, as i dont find info that asus designed this to be upgraded.

jaguarskx

Champion
No, you cannot upgrade the graphics. Based on a little research, that laptop relies on the integrated graphics core of the A10-9600P APU; the Radeon R5 (Bristol Ridge) graphics core. Because the A10-9600P APU is soldered into the motherboard, there is no way to upgrade the graphics.

Generally speaking, only specific gaming laptop models that cost $1,400 USD will give you the option to upgrade the GPU. However, the magic phrase is "specific model", because there are plenty of $2,000 - $3,000 USD laptops that does not allow you to upgrade the GPU.

jaguarskx

Champion

From the link below regarding the release of Ryzen (Zen architecture) mobile APUs.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/pc-components/amd-zen-processor-release-date-price-specs-features-3643552/

Laptops with Ryzen processors will launch in the second half of the year, and these have the codename Raven Ridge.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
betawastaken Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 5
C Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 9
G Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 3
A Laptop General Discussion 1
Comrade_Tito Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 3