Solved! Charging Inspiron 15 while travelling

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
Located in Austrlia, I'm going travelling in my van.
I'm taking with me a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 A6-9200
To charge this while on the road, I bought a power inverter that plugs into the 12V cigarette lighter plug.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120W-12-24V-1-3-10A-Laptop-Power-Supply-AC-to-DC-Adapter-USB-Charger-Plu...
The problem is that 'the devil is in the detail' and what I didn't realise is that this particular Dell laptop has a 4.5mm x 3.0mm female power plug.
The power inverter comes with a number of right-angle swapable plugs to fit various laptops, including many Dell, but not this model.
The swapable plugs have a 2-pin connector on the other end that plugs into the inverter cable.
https://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/301996154732?ul_noapp=true
you will note that this part has a note after
The DC adapter will act just like your original power adapter that came with your laptop.
Features Overload Protection & Short Circuit Protection
Compatible For HP / DELL (NOTE: This adapter can not charging with DELL Laptop, can work with turn on the DELL Laptop only.)
I had asked the seller what the note means as it isn't clear, but not received a reply yet.
In any case, I have a laptop and an inverter, and what stands between them is a lack of a US $1.31 part.
So I wonder if Dell or someone in the laptop community has a solution other than me performing surgery on the cables to attach the AC adaptor plug to the inverter cable as I can always get a new wall socketed power adaptor for the laptop.
Than you in advance for the replies.

Solution
I would not cut into it and do any surgery to try and make them work as you risk killing the laptop and possibly even damaging the vehicle.

Personally I suggest returning the item and getting your money back. Then try a search on say Amazon. I saw many chargers on there that state they would work with that device. And the pricing is similar to what you paid for the one you linked. That would be the safer option.

Now, if you don't plan on being in the vehicle all the time. Staying at homes, motels, hotels, etc., then the obvious solution is to charge when you are in one of those locations.

I wouldn't risk the laptop or the vehicle getting damage. Replace the part with a working one. The fact that they sold it to you knowing that it...
I would not cut into it and do any surgery to try and make them work as you risk killing the laptop and possibly even damaging the vehicle.

Personally I suggest returning the item and getting your money back. Then try a search on say Amazon. I saw many chargers on there that state they would work with that device. And the pricing is similar to what you paid for the one you linked. That would be the safer option.

Now, if you don't plan on being in the vehicle all the time. Staying at homes, motels, hotels, etc., then the obvious solution is to charge when you are in one of those locations.

I wouldn't risk the laptop or the vehicle getting damage. Replace the part with a working one. The fact that they sold it to you knowing that it won't work with your device is very suspicious.

Reactions: Greg Chalik
Solution

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
So the answer is that Dell actually used to make car chargers for this 4.5mmx3.00mm 13mm female plug, but it has an IC. I'm selling of the 'power inverter' and getting a Chinese version of one of these chargers because my Dell (2018 madel) lacks a USB-C slot. An extra $20

Last edited: