Cheap long lasting laptop with a replacable cpu

Charles Petit

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I am looking for a sub $300 laptop that has a decently long lasting battery. I also want it to have an Intel CPU that can be upgraded. Please post any that you can think of!

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
For that price you are not talking about a new laptop. New laptops with an upgradable (socketed) CPU start at about $1200. You can get a used one for less, but for that kind of money you are talking about a much older laptop. The most easy to find laptop that can have the CPU upgraded (USA market) is the Dell Inspiron 1545. For $230 you can get a system with a Pentium dual core CPU, 2 - 4GB of memory, and a 250GB drive.

You are probably better off going with a new economy laptop from Dell or HP. For $300 - $350 (when they are on a sale) you can get a system with a current i3 CPU, 4 GB of memory, and a 500 GB drive. The i3 CPU is the only part I would look out for, as it costs about another $50 to get over the Pentium and Celeron models - and makes the laptop much faster. The hard drive and memory can be upgraded. The CPU can not on value units. The socket that allows the CPU to be replaced or upgraded costs money, and the manufacturers want to save money.

I usually keep an eye out at http://techbargains.com to see what is on sale. They are a dependable site with good information and discount codes. Watch out for those pricing error entries that occasionally go up, though. Those ones say something like "supposed to take $xx off, but actually takes $xxx off". Those ones are valid, but the manufacturer may want to "correct the error" and cancel the order or charge the correct amount (to what the coupon code should have made the price go to).

Techbargains currently shows a deal on a new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop (yes all of the numbers and space are part of its name) for $342 with an Intel i3 CPU, 4GB of memory, and a 500GB hard drive. It does require following a link from:

http://www.techbargains.com/jump.cfm?clkSubId=BD444474ZZ0A00444474C84&afsrc=1&id=9700&tb_arg_id=65114

and entering this coupon code on checkout:

?4ZG11G3WRVBT3

Hopefully I have helped you. Good luck!

Charles Petit

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Well I was thinking of older laptops with the pga988b socket, but I got thinking that maybe I could just get a newer better looking longer lasting laptop and then stick one of my spare SSDs in it. I was looking at the Asus X205 because I like the look and battery life, but the CPU is a major bottleneck! So what are some suggestions now?

Inexpensive laptops all have CPUs that are soldered into the motherboard.

Generally, speaking only more expensive laptops that do not use low voltage CPUs would allow you to upgrade the CPU. Low voltage Intel CPUs are any models that you see a "u" as part of the designation, for example the 4th generation Intel i5-4210u and 5th generation Intel i5-5500u. Additionally, all Celeron and Pentium CPUs are also soldered into the motherboard because they are low power CPU.

Laptops using 4th generation Intel CPUs with the "m" designation do go into a socket and it is possible to upgrade the CPU as long as the laptop's BIOS has been programmed to recognize the new CPU. An example CPU is the i5-4200m and these types of CPUs are generally found in $600+ laptops.

Charles Petit

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Yes I actually did know this before I was wondering if you guys knew of a cheaper pga988b slot laptop. But anyways I I'm think about just getting a newer nice looking laptop with great battery life a decent CPU and then I will put in one of my spare SSDs. So do you know any laptops like that around $250.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
You can look them up on eBay, but it is a mixed bag.

The best deal for your usage is probably the Dell Latitude E5420 - there is an off lease one on eBay for $200 (+$18 s/h) with no hard drive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E5420-14-LCD-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-2-5GHz-2GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/141611343691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8b19f4b

It would need some more memory to run well, but it already has an i5 CPU. Battery condition would be my biggest concern, though.

I searched ebay for socket pga988b motherboards to find matching laptops, and the E5420 showed up.