Cheaper Blu-ray Coming Your Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
OK, a 40% decrease in cost resulting in an 11 cent fee for a Blu-Ray discs. That made the old rate what? 18 cents?
Am I missing some big savings somewhere?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
around here blueray players and disks are very expensive, i'm talking about $25+ per movie!, $10 more than dvd version.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I actually never find buying movies to be too expensive. Blu-ray here are $5-10 more but it's more than worth the money. Plus you would only buy movies you want to keep, so its not that much more per movie, or for your entire collection.

G

Hook me up with your blu-ray connections please... check out best buy's website. $30-$40 for blu-ray new releases. How is that only $5-$10 more?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Cheaper prices for the consumers or more margin for the producers? I would say a lot more of the latter and a tad of the former.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]Blu-ray write-once blanks cost $5. DVD write-once blanks cost 20 cents.[/citation]

didnt know that. hopefully now that the hd media is over blueray prices will drop and dvds will go away.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Those who have seen Blu-ray movies on a 1080p display know what a leap they are over DVD, but until prices fall below a certain point, consumers won’t buy in.

Heh, all my friends think I'm crazy because I can't see an appreciable difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. Maybe it's just the enormous barrier to entry in price -- for a college student -- that's clouding my vision.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I would like to join a federation of Computer Patent Owners, where anyone who is in the federation is free to make use of patented items within the federation with no liscensing issues. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the several thousand patents Microsoft filed and just pay a small subscription fee.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
when these manufactures of HDTVs make a decent display with integrated Bluray Player at an affordable price, that's when it will go mainstream. I would be interested in a quality 32"LCD w/built-in player in the low US$400s

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]when these manufactures of HDTVs make a decent display with integrated Bluray Player at an affordable price, that's when it will go mainstream. I would be interested in a quality 32"LCD w/built-in player in the low US$400s[/citation]
Packaging things together is a great way to sell low quality products for more than they're worth.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kiasu81[/nom]Does this mean that CD and DVD will be subsidizing Blue ray ?[/citation]
No, not quite. It's simply creating a single governing body so companies don't have to deal with multiple people when creating devices using these technologies.

And considering that the same group of people pioneered these technologies, I don't think they can be subsidized.

And it's Blu-ray, not Blue (you can't copyright colors).

[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]OK, a 40% decrease in cost resulting in an 11 cent fee for a Blu-Ray discs. That made the old rate what? 18 cents?Am I missing some big savings somewhere?[/citation]
Maybe, but you may want to read it over again
The companies involved estimate that royalty rates for Blu-ray Disc products are expected to be at least 40 percent lower than the current cumulative royalty rates for individual Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD format licenses
So the savings are even less than that! =D

But then again, the article was written by Marcus Yam, so all the figures are suspect. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.