Chevy Knocks $5,000 Off the Chevy Volt for 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
GM is bankrupt. The new "Government Motors" is not on my radar, and never will be again, unless/until EVERY taxpayer dollar has been repaid, and then some.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
People need to start buying American cars , 2014 CTS amazing luxury car , 2014 Stingray built like a 120k car.Although Mercedes and Bmw will always sell because of their timeless look that never gets old.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Too generic looking. Just bought a Subaru BRZ because I love everything about it. I don't feel that American companies know how to cater to customers desires. If American companies added some serious flare to lower end vehicles, then I'd consider buying American.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

The Cadillac CTS-V is a very drool-worthy car but at $60K it's too rich for my blood. :lol:

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
wysir. You are specifically stating you are looking for low end vehicles and you want them to have lots of flare. If you add lots of flare to a low end vehicle, the price goes up. Usually people looking for a low end vehicle are shopping for their children or a daily commuter, and the only thing they are interested in is safety, MPG, and cost.

I don't want my children driving around in a Tokyo drift eye catcher anyways. Sorry little lady, you get the Chevy aveo.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The American people do not realize that a Car will generally be their second largest investment in their lives and sending most of their hard earned money to foreign countries will have negative effects that will eventually hurt them. This is why I have never purchased a foreign car and will buy GM cars in the future. I rented a Chevrolet Cruz while traveling and was impressed with the ride and MPG for a car priced to compete with the Ford Focus. Even if GM received a bailout that will not be paid back directly, every middle class GM worker will pay back the loan through their federal taxes that would disappear as soon as they got unemployed and the US would have higher deficits paying for their unemployment checks. I also try to avoid buying foreign made products for the same reason but it is practically impossible since most US Companies are just foreign investors in foreign manufacturing companies. Buying foreign products is like sending up to 70% of your money to help foreign workers (That don’t pay US taxes) improve their lives while you get high deficits, high unemployment, wage stagnation, and a host of hidden taxes to make up for the lost revenue. We have fake unemployment numbers to hide the truth and they raided the Social Security fund to hide the lost revenue while they sent the jobs overseas. In the 1970’s almost 90% of the products were made in America and just look how hard it is to buy American made products today. The Global Economy was not to help the 99% of Americans but increase the profit for the top 1% that make most of their money though the stock market with a flat tax capital gains rate of 11%.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
@Onus

better not buy a toyota or honda or ford then
because nearly all auto maker have received government assistance directly or indirectly

Toyota multiple times from the Japanese Government

G

It's not the loan where we got screwed is was the government buying up most of the stock, the stock TANKING, then they sell it back and the bottomed out price, with us holding the bag for the difference.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I think foreign and domestics are both good cars. Heck, I had an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that had like 250,000 miles before I sold it. I now own a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer and it has 90,000 miles on it and it has been an amazing car. As far as domestics, the Cadillac ATS is nice, I might even take that over a 3 series BMW. However, the Volt only sells because we pay people with OUR tax money to buy it, just like solar panels. I can't believe the government can just give our money away.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Its about time, the Volt is actually a REALLY nice car, but its REALLY hard for people to justify a $40,000 Chevy sedan...

Dry

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Every single person I know that owns a Chevy Volt loves it. Volt has to reduce price because Asian electric cars are cheap and Prius prices are very competitive. What I like about the Volt is that there is no range anxiety you have with electric cars.

As for GM getting gov't money, every auto company on the planet has received help from its home gov't.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
The GM Volt gets worse highway gas milage then the $19K Cruze when it runs in hybrid mode. The batteries may last you 30 miles in winter. But even if you managed to do 100% pure electric driving with 0 cent / kwh solar cells , and gas was $4/gallon. You could never recoupe the cost difference between the cruze and the volt in gas savings before you had to trade it in at over 250K miles. GM execs should be shot for this disaster.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Griffin, I think your no-math is a little off. That aside, although the Cruze is a nice enough small car, it doesn't compare to a Volt if you've driven both.

If you don't mind a little more growl, a Cruze Diesel is a nice alternative though - especially if you've got a long highway commute.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Starting to come into my price range! I currently drive a 2012 Ford Focus and it's been nothing short of amazing all around, but this is great news, especially since I end my lease next year ;)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I like the volt, a friend of mine got one and it is really impresive. I realize economically speaking you really would pay less to drive somethign liek my corolla getting 40 mpg but when you buy something like this you are helping fuel R&D to make electric cars cheaper and to be more mainstream. maybe it would even result in something crazy like a nice electric car's price dropping $5k in a year :)

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
The American people do not realize that a Car will generally be their second largest investment in their lives...

hehe, my computer is worth more then my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.