China Agrees With WTO on Piracy Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So China must protect the rights of works that’s not allowed to be marketed in China? Where did they get that $3.7 billion figure if they can’t sell it legally in China? This is akin to giving Al Qaeda tax exemption status but continuing to outlawing it in the US.

Atticum

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
"As we strengthen our work on domestic intellectual property rights, we will continue to promote international exchanges and cooperation, in order to encourage the healthy development of trade relations," said Chinese Ministry of Commerce spokesman Yao Jian.

I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
"says China costs those industries over $3.7 billion in lost sales annually."

How do they know that? If no one were using pirated copies, then a lot of chineese probably wouldn't whtch those movies or listen to that music. Just because I got an MP3 for free somewhere, it doesn't mean that I would buy it otherwise. Just because there were free icecream at a shopping mall, it doesn't mean that I would actually buy icecream if I had to pay for it. Those expected loss figures are always very misleading and only points in favor of the producer.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
"...China has agreed to cooperate..."

Correction: Chinese Ministry of Commerce spokesman Yao Jian has agreed to cooperate.

That's 1! Now they just need to get some of the other 1.3 billion to agree too!

zibby

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Just like each corporate has huge "net loss". They predict (pull number out of their a..) huge sale of whatever they sell, and then later they announce net loss and their stocks drop as they didn't sell it like they expected. Well, there is something wrong with that picture. You can't estimate big volume sale and later complain that you have "net loss". Same crap with music industry. Just like someone said above, id it's free I'll take it, but otherwise don't expect I would pay for it and "cry" that you didn't make money of me.
Too bad Obama's plan didn't include that in his "change" and "hope" program.

tonychow

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I have some numbers here, could somebody help out?
$1=6.83 RMB Yuan
Windows XP pro OEM $135 in US, 1300 RMB Yuan(English version)in China.
Antec 1200 case $179/ Newegg.com , 1655 Yuan/newegg.com.cn
Intel Core i7 920 $294/neweg.com, 2299 Yuan/newegg.com.cn
Dell/HP/Lenovo Thinkpad, we can spend arround $600 to buy a nice laptop or desktop in US, withe same hardware deploy, in China you have pay at least 15% more.

In US, the average monthly income is about $2500, to spend $135 buy an OEM Windows XP is not really big deal, it's just like 5.4% of your wage of one month. In China, the average income of one month is arround 1500-2000 RMB Yuan, it's just $220-$292/month, according the number I just mentioned, can anybody give Chinese a reason to spend half of their monthly income to buy Windows XP or cost them whole number of money they just make for just one month to get some name brand such like Antec? I didn't see any. And, in US, if you are registered college student, you only need to pay $15 to buy Windows XP pro with both 32 and 64 bit, but Microsoft never give this special price to Chinese students, so why they pay a lot money to buy it?

G

tonychow, by your rationale, why should i pay for a diamond ring for my wife? its a lot of money, so i should steal it

G

OK, I'm from China.I want to point out one thing,
the Microsoft already made special price for their Chinese version system(both vista and xp). So he gain his market back year by year.
But as the writer said, most media is illegal, that's not only the Gov's fault. It also because the industry didn't take serous to China market.

Status
Not open for further replies.