China: U.S. Cyber-Espionage Accusations 'Unprofessional'

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First thing our IT folks do is block address ranges from China and many other potentially risky countries that either have NO policy/agency in place to combat hackers and/or actively encourage and support hacking. If your business and/or clients are not in these parts of the world, no need to leave the door open.

China's denial is pretty funny ... even with IP spoofing it's easy enough to follow data packets going from A to B to C/D/E (aka A again). I'm not sure what's funnier, the Chinese government thinking that data isn't traceable or the US thinking their primitive attempts at hacking are really any threat.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Maybe "irresponsible", but more importantly, are they accurate?
I'm inclined to say yes, they are.
You know all those copies of American technology, or stuff that looks very similar?
You don't get that without breaking into a few networks or taking the design documents otherwise.

But what gets me about these reports is that the US is just as bad.
You don't think that the US hacks into and steals Chinese secrets? That the CIA doesn't conduct espionage in cyberspace? That American companies steal industrial secrets from Chinese ones?

We seem to forget that the US is number one in spying on other countries. They've had lots of practice peeking at the USSR's advancements and knowing exactly what they're up to. And those people who have made that happen haven't retired yet.

So if you believe for one second that the US doesn't have its hands in Chinese R&D labs and defense contractors, manufacturers, etc., you're sorely mistaken.

The US can cry all it wants, but the truth of the matter is that they aren't as guiltless as they want you to believe.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
China has issued a terse denial of the accusations, calling them "unprofessional and "irresponsible".

Isn't theft unprofessional and irresponsible too? Maybe it is just me...

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation]"Identifying the attackers without carrying out a comprehensive investigation and making inferences about the attackers is both unprofessional and irresponsible. I hope the international community can abandon prejudice and work hard with China to maintain online security"[/citation]
I wonder if that means that they will allow both private and federal investigators to enter the country unopposed to complete their investigations? No, didn't think so... until then poo will continue to be flung!

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
unprofessional? lol, but blatently stealing our technology, and pirating like a madman on crack is very professional. Its like a child molester telling us we are wrong for making him register as a sex offender.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Think about this, US lets them steal our designs/technology because of china's work force which is willing to work for next to nothing (hence their very low standard of living) ... so China continues to provide super cheap products that ultimately benefits the US and helps increase our standard of living. The beauty of this is that China's hacking is really hurting them, not the the US.

Have you folks visited China, OMG it's so horribly polluted and people wear masks whenever they go anywhere. China is now #1 in CO2 emissions because of their coal based power facilities ... I remember an F1 race where you couldn't see the cars on track (due to pollution/smog) because it was Friday practice the local factories were still operating. If there is a Hell, it's China.

If this was a "real issue" with the US, they would have stopped the hacking a long time ago ... think about it.

But it is sorta funny to read the lip service that each side is providing.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"Identifying the attackers without carrying out a comprehensive investigation and making inferences about the attackers..."

Well, what the hell are we supposed to do about it? China has our economy by the balls..

G

This is a game of poking, just as mentioned above, the United States has been in the espionage and intelligence game for a while, decades or perhaps even longer. US is spying pretty much everywhere so it's natural that a country with as much power as China has, would be trying or maybe I should say doing, the exact same thing to continue to increase it's power.
We poke and peek at every country, it was just a matter of time till someone started to do the same thing to us.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]"Identifying the attackers without carrying out a comprehensive investigation and making inferences about the attackers..."Well, what the hell are we supposed to do about it? China has our economy by the balls..[/citation]

Actually the only reason China's economy is doing well is because its servicing the American economy. If China were to one day say "pay up."The question would be pay up or what? If America were to just stop importing Chinese goods, China's economy would fall apart.

Just the foxconn factory for making iphoney's employs 800,000 laborers, imagine those people all get laid off and have no money for food and have to find new houses (because they are fed by and live in the factory) That's almost 1 million pissed off hungry homeless people from a single factory making a single product.

jojesa

Distinguished
Ha ha ha...."unprofessional and "irresponsible"...pretty funny when it comes from China.

If these attacks are traced to computers in China, how do they know if they weren't hijacked by an attacker outside China.
Even though China has the world’s biggest population of Internet users, they have the worst security and security policies, which make them vulnerable to being taken over and used to hide the source of attacks from elsewhere.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Chinese "President" Hu Jintao to Hong Lei, "Tell them we didn't do it!"
Hong Lei to America, "We didn't do it! Your actions are "unprofessional" and "irresponsible", snicker, snicker.
America, "Ummm, yeah, riggghhhtttt."

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Oh please...every so often when I'm bored I go through my router's logs and trace back the IPs every single one ends in China. True some might be hijacked computers but whatever.[/citation]

LoL, holy crap I Haven't done that inawhile... and you're right, the 1st 5 connection refusals in my log right now were from China.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The US has the capability to spy on other countries but what exactly would the US government "steal"? We also have the best military toys so no need for that.

What people are misunderstanding is that the Chinese government controls their own economy and either owns or is heavily connected to their big companies. In the USA and much of the free world there is a much greater degree of separate between state and free enterprise, that's what makes "free enterprise" "free".

The Chinese Government has an interest in stealing other countries industrial secrets, it can use those to give it's own companies technology that they didn't have to do research and development on. Many years ago western companies would just send product schematics and production information straight to Chinese factories, we thought making them sign a NDA would suffice to prevent technology transfer. The Chinese owners laughed and signed the documents, produce the product then copied the schematics and details for Chinese use. Thus they would be servicing the western economy while protecting their own economy from foreign competition. Western companies allowed them to get away with that because they all though that eventually they would get access to import their products directly to the Chinese market. Their Government has since proved that it has zero intention of allowed a foreign company to compete with a domestic Chinese company.

These days most companies have got a clue and now only send the absolutely minimum required information to the Chinese factory's. They leave out as much of the product details as they can making it nearly impossible for a Chinese company to create a functioning copy of the product. The most common left out component is the firmware / software used to run the product. Now Chinese companies have to hack into western companies computer systems in an attempt to steal this code so that they can produce copies of it.

Combined with this are new US policy's on enforcing the older export regulations for technology transfer. Getting the license to send a piece of US technology to a non-NATO country is harder then before. And employees going to and from China are restricted from what they can carry on their laptops. "Evil Maid" attacks were quite common for high profile businessmen going to and from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.