Chinese Authorities Investigate Foxconn Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
scramble scramble. media alert media alert. *emergency raid horn sounds*

im sure the interrogation techniques werent too much *while* they were being applied.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Cupertino, California-based Apple said. “We require that our suppliers treat all workers with dignity and respect.”

right... as long as we can pay them next to nothing and expose them to hazardous working conditions!

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow! Er...Foxconn is going to have to explain its position a little better if it doesn't want a consumer boycott.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Wow! Er...Foxconn is going to have to explain its position a little better if it doesn't want a consumer boycott.[/citation]

Aside from the motherboards and video cards(?) Foxconn products involves things such as the cpu cover on brand new intel mobos, i think even the connectors on mobos, prata cables, the stock cpu fan of intel cpus, etc. They're pretty much like the Bosche of computers, they're at every nook and cranny (well almost). It'd be almost impossible to boycott them completely.

* Though Foxconn is probably at fault on these grounds.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Don't get me wrong, but I think there is another side to dhis story. Come on, as harsh as he conditions ma be, that guy wouldn't kill imself just because he was wrongfuly accused. Either he was guilty and killed himself out of shame, or he must have been psichologicaly unbalanced. A normal person would take the punch, prove his innocence, and then sue the freaking company for morale damage.

G

hmmm... maybe meant too look like a suicide... huh smarty pants (f-gomes) :) j/k

By any stretch of the imagination, this is horible. Has NDAs come to this? wow.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Don't get me wrong, but I think there is another side to dhis story. Come on, as harsh as he conditions ma be, that guy wouldn't kill imself just because he was wrongfuly accused. Either he was guilty and killed himself out of shame, or he must have been psichologicaly unbalanced. A normal person would take the punch, prove his innocence, and then sue the freaking company for morale damage.

China has continuously refused to sign the Bill of Rights so far. That said, while your train of thought can’t be refuted completely, it cannot be embraced as well.

As for an employee suing a company… in China… That’s a much more messy discussion not worth to get into right now.

G

f-gomes,

how much experience do you have working in asian production centres? how about general asian culture?

I can tell its absolutely 0%, because 'taking the punch' over there isn't the same as it is over here('practically speaking,' suicide IS taking the punch). Suing the company? For MORALE(or did you mean moral?) damage? thats a freaking joke. Thats the equivalent of having Obama(or any president or national leader for that matter) fly over to your house every time he does something that pisses you off so you can punch him in the face...twice.

at the end of the day, suicide is STILL extreme, but stop acting like his situation would be the same as yours. Almost EVERYTHING in asia is different than in NA...the culture, standards of living, and the bureaucracy(if this hadn't gotten so much attention, the company heads and the government wouldn't have put as much effort into correcting this as they say they're doing now).

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Apple says "We're sorry for his loss, but we just want to clarify we don't want bad press so we require that our suppliers treat all workers with dignity and respect." Pathetic.

kaby

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Yes, China's labor regulations and practices are like that of Western countries in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

[citation][nom]bob_villa[/nom]f-gomes,how much experience do you have working in asian production centres? how about general asian culture?I can tell its absolutely 0%, because 'taking the punch' over there isn't the same as it is over here('practically speaking,' suicide IS taking the punch). Suing the company? For MORALE(or did you mean moral?) damage? thats a freaking joke. Thats the equivalent of having Obama(or any president or national leader for that matter) fly over to your house every time he does something that pisses you off so you can punch him in the face...twice.at the end of the day, suicide is STILL extreme, but stop acting like his situation would be the same as yours. Almost EVERYTHING in asia is different than in NA...the culture, standards of living, and the bureaucracy(if this hadn't gotten so much attention, the company heads and the government wouldn't have put as much effort into correcting this as they say they're doing now).[/citation]

blackwater11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
boycott foxconn. I lived in China for 2 years and they treat their people like livestock. That man was taken to the top of that roof and thrown off to show the other employees what happens if you lose prototypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.