Chinese Hackers Break Into U.S. Chamber of Commerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
And this is why confidential information should be stored on a network separate from the internet.
It's that easy, yes it's inconvenient but it's also the most secure way.

If people need data, they should have to go to the location of the servers because at least there, the security is physical.

Of course.. Nobody will take that easy approach because it'll be too "inconvenient".

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Why bother doing this China? You want all our business data just go to your nearby factories that make all our crap and get the data.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Just sounds to me like they were figuring out how much money they would be expecting from us ahead of time. That, or they are making an mxe-style game show about our inept congressmen.

gzhang11

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Sunfighterlc[/nom]Why bother doing this China? You want all our business data just go to your nearby factories that make all our crap and get the data.[/citation]

you're quite the simpleton aren't ya?

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
So all it takes now to "infiltrate" is a couple of code junkies with a keyboard rather than James Bond and his techwatch.

Honestly, this series of online attacks and spying isn't making things better for the public- and to think that this particular breakout lasted for a year,.. scary..

US is battling China in both conventional and cyberwarfare..

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So they hacked a lobbyist group. (To those unaware they are not part of the US government)
I'm not sure what value this has. Whatever information they collect would likely only concern what the lobby group lobby's for in the first place.

The only thing that may come as any value if they obtained any information about illegal lobbying actions such as bribes. This could be used to blackmail but I highly doubt the Chamber of Commerce would report the attack to the authorities if it would display their own criminal actions if any existed.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]gzhang11[/nom]you're quite the simpleton aren't ya?[/citation]

Didn't expect any other response from a Chinese....

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The question was/is not that what information they got, the question is , how did they gain entry into any of the DBs. And plus the problem is greater when they find a route out of those machines to other machines and get other data.....

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Nobody listens to me, simple idea just unplug China from the internet, cut the damn cables. Every intrusion attempt on my network or the in boxes full of spam trying to peddle cheap knock off goods originate from china. As far as I'm concerned the only good thing to come from China is the cuisine, everything else is cheaply made crap designed to break after the 12 month warranty expires.

This is whats wrong with the western world economy, we simply do not manufacture or produce anything of quantity anymore, relying for years on the service and support sectors, which even now are beginning a slippery downturn as these industries are moving to places like India.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Iran has a U.S. Drone, which they may sell to China. China is in a disagreement about tariffs (over very efficient solar technology that may solve energy problems if it's resolved), and may be in a cyber war with our government? WWIII anyone :|. Thankfully Kim Jong Il is out of the picture, let's just hope his kid isn't a headcase (fat chance).

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]So they hacked a lobbyist group. (To those unaware they are not part of the US government) I'm not sure what value this has. Whatever information they collect would likely only concern what the lobby group lobby's for in the first place. The only thing that may come as any value if they obtained any information about illegal lobbying actions such as bribes. This could be used to blackmail but I highly doubt the Chamber of Commerce would report the attack to the authorities if it would display their own criminal actions if any existed.[/citation]
Agreed. What's the point in hacking the US Chamber of Commerce? Did the Chinese do this out of frustration because they were unable to hack more sensitive, US Govt. sites?

And its been almost two-years now. Why wait this long to release the info to the public?

This is almost non-news. :0

Status
Not open for further replies.