Chinese Teen Sells Kidney for iPad 2, Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Sadly, nobody told the boy that. 3grand is more than an average yearly income in China.I wonder how many teenagers in the developed world would sell a kidney for 50grand.[/citation]

im 23
my kidney is 60k+
my liver is 300k+ (part of it, cant have whole thing)
and my lung is 500k+

and dont get me wrong, i know what im doing, i dont drink, so the main reason people need all their organs in tact doesnt matter to me, i also done excersize but am still in pretty good shape, so genitics are great, also means i can spare a lung.

now with the 850k minimum i would have from selling organs, i would invest in stock market. usualy i can see a great idea, and jump on the stock before it goes and raises by a whole lot (i saw the apple, and google stock about to rise rediculsy before they did. if i would have had control of my stock at the time, i would be a millionaire easily.

however there are no stocks like that atm, so... i would just be collecting intrest of about 40-70k a year....
basicly means i never have to work again in my life....

i would gladly risk 3 surgeries and and death to have the CHANCE at never working, and if everything failed, i have about 16 to 24 years of money, depending on how i spend it. so either way i get to do nothing for a LONG a$$ time

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
when Jobs dies soon i hope he specifically donates one of his kidneys to this kid.
not a single word or phrase can describe what i'm feeling right now over what this kid did, but the fact that you have to be 18 in america to enter into contractual agreement with out a parents express written permission makes me feel just the tiniest bit better, but not really after seeing that dugard girl in california who was kidnapped for 18 years at 11 years old, raped and gave birth to one of two children at 14, that that bastard fathered on her. i think that guy and his wife should be castrated and buchered by prison inmates, and i think the same should happen to the people involved in advertising and contracting this kids into this kidney theft.

i could be wrong about this kid since most kids in america are so sheltered and under educated, but this just disturbs me to the point of anger that any one can get away with this.
the kid should be punished also, but i have a feeling the future he's going to have with out that extra kidney is going to be enough.
i have a hard enough time with kids donating body parts to dying family members, but atleast that's an attempt to save a family member of theirs life. but this.... and for a p.o.s. worthless item.......
...the kid better find a way to use that f'n thing to cure cancer or something or i will not forgive any one involved with this!

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
@frye: The real travesty in this story is the fact that organisations are out there profiteering from the infringement of people's, call it 'God given' for want of a better term (or maybe basic) rights to have their body parts they were born with.

When capitalism and the divide between the have's and have nots gets to this the government needs to step in for the good of all people and police and regulate.

Furthermore we are looking at a case of a kid who really doesn't know what is good for him in the first place, he's a kid and we shouldn't be judging him for wanting to be one of the 'cool kids'

G

now that he has an ipod 2 and laptop, he will get so addicted to playing with his new gadgets that he loses time for exercise... in a few months time, i'm sure he will think about selling a part of his testicles for a kidney...

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]to have the CHANCE at never working[/citation]Wow, some people are really lazy! :)
I like my job, it gives me a good feeling that I'm actually useful to the company/society and that I'm putting my talents to a good use instead of wasting whatever potential there is.

G

now that's sad! even sadder that he needed the money for a crapple product. geeeez. crapple is analvomit and a money hungry corp. hate them from the bottom of my little black heart.

G

They may take our organs, but they'll never take our iPads! Go China!

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Reminds me of the suburbian teenaged girls hooking their way to the mall to buy designer purses. I suspect the parents in both cases were about equally influential in their kids' lives.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
im loling at my previous comment getting down votes.

i could work my a$$ off for 30+ years and still not make as much money as i could get from selling 3 organs.

and i was thinking of it, i may hit up vegas for a bet. put the 850k on rullet and let the winnings ride once, that way if i win i come out with 3.4 million, instead of 850k

if i put that in stocks, and just skimmed about 4% of the growth off a year, that would be about 135000$ a year.

and winning 2 bets on a 50/50 read and black is pretty easy, i may even split it into red black and odds and evens, that way i'm covered if something doesn't get landed on.

in the end, i would make more than almost 95% of the people in the wold make in their life times, and make more than 60% people in the first world countries make in their lives. and thats just the lump sum, not including the stocks interest, and the fact i would live life like i made 135000 a year.

G

Would we think him stupider for donating a kidney to save someone else's life?
He did a service for his fellow man and got a iPad and a new laptop. I don't see what the issue is. I would more likely be an organ donor if I, or my surviving family could benefit from it.

I say, good for him!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JPicasso[/nom]Would we think him stupider for donating a kidney to save someone else's life?He did a service for his fellow man and got a iPad and a new laptop. I don't see what the issue is. I would more likely be an organ donor if I, or my surviving family could benefit from it. I say, good for him![/citation]
i refuse to be an organ donor, because the last thing i want a doctor to think is, if we save him we save 1 person, if he dies, X get saved, i don't want him making the decision to let me die, to harvest organs.

now if being an organ donor was something that you had to wait till a persons dead to find out... would be one.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Sadly, this type of dealings are actually quite normal in Asia.......

Most of the countries in Asia are pretty poor. Perhaps in the US, $3,000 isn't that huge, but in Asia, you can already buy a car in that price. And US Pensioners can live lavishly using only their pension in Asia, but it's impossible in the US itself.

Their sales pitch is usually relegated to : "You have two kidneys, so since there's still one left after the operation, you'll be fine! Plus you'll have a huge amount of money!"

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]SoiledBottom[/nom]Price's must have come down.....I always thought apple products cost an arm and a leg[/citation]
Dude! You rock! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS