Solved! Choosing a processor for the Alienware m11x

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I have 3 options, the Core2Duo SU7300, Core i5 520UM and Core i7 640UM.

I will be using the computer to run DJ software (Rane Serato Scratch Live, Virtual DJ, Reason 4), as well as general internet and light gaming for while on the road (bioshock, ME2, Crysis, Borderlands, Civ 4)

I'd build with 4GB ram and 160, or possibly a 250GB HDD.
Now, the kicker is that I have an option to get a C2D with 8GB ram, and 256GB SSD for 1000CAD.

Is it worth it to get the C2D for 1000CAD since the bonuses (8GB ram instead of 4 and 256GB SSD instead of an HDD) outweigh the expense of getting the i5 or i7?

Solution
First of all, Crysis is more GPU bound than CPU bound. the Geforce 335 isn't going to run crysis well no matter what cpu you put it with. Most online reviews that i've read found that the M11x R2 using the core i5/i7 had a small performance gain compared to the original M11x with the C2D, but at a cost of battery life... so whatever you feel like a good balance would be, get that one. Depending on how many programs you're going to run at once, more RAM will help... but I don't think you're going to be able to use all 8 GB... so that can go either way.

One of the biggest performance boosts in terms of windows/program boot times is the SSD, so that may be a good investment...

I would recommend that, as long as that the M11x isnt your...

davideclosel

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
im not an expert but iv looked at ALOT of reviews and forums concerning most of the things about the alienware lapops. one thing i know about the m11x is with all the upgrades to max u will only play crysis with some high and medium at about 12 and over fps, (not more than 20) so if your thinking of playing such games, core i7 for sure. also, no game till now requires more than 4 gb of ram, so instead of wasting 300 $, i say go for the ssd option, now THATS something thats worth buying. althouh if your tight on budget and you cant go for both ssd and i7, or both i7 and 8gb, id say i7 for sure.

heres the link for some fps comparison with i7 and c2d:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5766&p=3

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

I won't get a SSD with either of the core i options, it's just too expensive to build (adds like almost 600 to the build cost). The only way I can get the SSD is if I get it with the C2D and 8GB ram package.

I'm not hell bent on high fps crysis. I'd more likely be playing something like civ while on the road rather than a fps, although I would liek to have the option of playing the games I already own to some extent.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
First of all, Crysis is more GPU bound than CPU bound. the Geforce 335 isn't going to run crysis well no matter what cpu you put it with. Most online reviews that i've read found that the M11x R2 using the core i5/i7 had a small performance gain compared to the original M11x with the C2D, but at a cost of battery life... so whatever you feel like a good balance would be, get that one. Depending on how many programs you're going to run at once, more RAM will help... but I don't think you're going to be able to use all 8 GB... so that can go either way.

One of the biggest performance boosts in terms of windows/program boot times is the SSD, so that may be a good investment...

I would recommend that, as long as that the M11x isnt your primary machine, get the C2D one. It should serve your mobile needs just fine in most cases. The i5/i7 version i guess is more future-proof, but if that's not your primary machine, i don't think it should matter too much.

Solution