Choosing Between Two Laptops

poohge123

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Good day everyone,

I'm in need of your help. I will be purchasing a laptop soon maybe next month and I need your opinion. I'm debating in choosing over two laptops which are:
1. MSI GE72MVR APACHE PRO-001
2. ASUS ROG STRIX GL702VS-DS74
Both have the following specs:
i7-7700 HQ processor
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB RAM

The only difference is ASUS has 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD while MSI has 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. I am favoring ASUS over MSI right now. their price difference is minimal (about $66 converted). Is there any reason for me to pick MSI over ASUS? Thanks in advance

poohge123

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

I've seen people complain about MSI being a terrible brand. I never had first hand experience with them and i'm terrified if i bought it, i might regret it forever.

I dont think the slower HDD would bother me that much since the SSD is at 512 GB and i can store more games there. Wont be using the slower HDD too much. is the 2 cell difference in the battery going to be a big deal or is it negligable? ( i would rarely be playing on battery, maybe 3-4 hours a week)

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
Then you should be fine with ASUS. But MSI is not bad per say. One of my colleagues uses a MSI laptop and its been working fine for him.
As I said, either one is fine. If you are fixed on the ASUS better go with it. The advantage with ASUS ofcourse is better after sales support which is very crucial.

poohge123

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

I agree, after sales support often makes or breaks some of my decision when purchasing stuff. But i went over the specs of the laptops once more and saw that ASUS has G-sync and MSI has not implemented it. Did I make a mistake or was that really the case? Seems like ASUS is the clear winner if so.