Choosing between two sets of 5.1 speakers

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello All. First, thank you in advance to all comments, quotes and opinions. :)

I am looking into getting a surround system for movies (blurays)/games and music. I will most likely pick up a new receiver for about $US600... any suggestions?

I live in a small studio (and always will), watch Netflix and DVD's all the time, lots of gaming; FPS, music in between from Pandora, a few CD's. :)

For speakers, I am looking at the two below, both get great reviews. But one is about $US900 more then the other and am wondering if they are worth it. Any input is appreciated. Or if you have another choice of speakers... I am not a huge fan of Klipsch... sorry Klipsch fans. :(

Energy Take Classic 5.1 5.1CH Premium Home Theater System - $US400.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024

or

Intimus 4T Hybrid SD - $US1,350.00 (30 day return guarantee, free shipping both ways)
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-4T-Hybrid-SD,170,70,416.aspx

Any suggestions on receivers is appreciated too.

Thank you very much for your time, have a great week. :D

Solution
Well, if you are into good quality sound, then I would forgo the pre-kitted 5.1 setups. Would you be open to a decent pair of tower speakers for 2.0 or 2.1 setup with a high quality amplifier (that may not be a receiver) ? I think this is the way to go for music enjoyment (I haven't found most recent movies to be all that good to re-watch at home). In this "stereo" category, your options are endless.

If that's not the route you want to go, there are a few sets of fairly good quality 5.1's in the range of about 1000 dollars, the most recent one I have heard is a set of KEF's that sounded pretty good for music and movies. In this case, I think a set little bigger than the Energy Takes you pointed out might work.

I'm actually not...

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
If you are primarily doing video, games and so on with a little emphasis on music, the Energy system should be enough. Having said that, if your small studio is actually small, then the Intimus will be too big.

As far as receiver goes, are you looking for good sound quality (hard to find in a receiver), or are you looking for features (bluetooth, central control, etc) ?

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you for your reply maxx_power. The studio is about 500sf, not to small, not to big, it is a rental. Are the Intimus's that much better sounding?

To your question, I am looking for quality sound, not a lot of gimmicks like airplay, etc. What I just want to do is be able to play music, movies, games, Netflix, connected to 'something' and my PC connected to that 'something'. Hope that makes sense. :pt1cable: If there is something other then a receiver; amp, preamp, etc., I will take any suggestions. :) I am not all that knowledgeable about stuff like that. I do know I can connect my PC to the receiver which is connected to TV, Bluray, speakers, etc.

Thank you again for your time. :)

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Well, if you are into good quality sound, then I would forgo the pre-kitted 5.1 setups. Would you be open to a decent pair of tower speakers for 2.0 or 2.1 setup with a high quality amplifier (that may not be a receiver) ? I think this is the way to go for music enjoyment (I haven't found most recent movies to be all that good to re-watch at home). In this "stereo" category, your options are endless.

If that's not the route you want to go, there are a few sets of fairly good quality 5.1's in the range of about 1000 dollars, the most recent one I have heard is a set of KEF's that sounded pretty good for music and movies. In this case, I think a set little bigger than the Energy Takes you pointed out might work.

I'm actually not familiar with Intimus products. I checked out the specifications and they do not seem to be worth that money. The response is not that flat, and the enclosures are made out of thin 1/2 inch MDF wood. So I don't know where the money went on developing those speakers by looking at the specifications... I think they are targeting people who might potentially buy Bose or something like that.

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

BloodHK47

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
If your wanting a good sound system at least, pioneer are pretty good and fairly cheap. I have a 5.1 set up in my living room and has great sound. Also you'll be wanting to wire everything up, dont use wireless speakers. You can get a good 7.1 receiver thats pioneer at best buy for $500

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Indeed, if you want to make your own kit that is just as good at movies as they are at music, see this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers

And pick the Pioneer speakers that has either the FS or BS in its name. So perhaps a set of towers for the front, a center channel and a set of compact bookshelves for the rears. Be sure to pick the ones that are designed by Andrew Jones. They sound fantastic.

BloodHK47

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
You can buy the set at Best Buy, I'm sure all best buys have them or most because thats where I bought mine. Also take into considering you'd wanna have a good sized tv to get immersion for the sound because the sound quality from my system makes me wanna buy a 55"-60" tv. Just my opinion anyways.