Choosing from 2 laptops

AlexChiriac

Estimable
Jul 25, 2014
Hello,
I need help in choosing a laptop for college. I have 2 options:
1. A Lenovo Z50-70 with an 4150 2Ghz 2-core i7, a GT 840m and a FullHD screen
2. Also a Lenovo, the Z510 model with an 4702MQ 2,2Ghz 4-core i7, but with a GT 740m and a 1366x758 resolution screen.
The other specs are identical. I will use the laptop for programming, gaming and working in C4D, AfterEffects,Photoshop,etc. Thank you for help! :)

Solution
I'd get the Z50-70. The i7 4510 should be fast enough for those applications (but the 4702MQ is quite a bit faster in heavily threaded workloads, single/dual core frequency is about the same with turboBoost). The 840 should be quite a bit faster than the 740, so this could help a bit in Adobe CS. Both CPUs should perform similarly in games, so the Z50-70 will have the advantage, with its faster GPU.

However, the main selling point, in my opinion, is the much better screen resolution. It should give you a much more pleasing experience with that kind of software. I definitely would not want to use anything less.

Edit: Never mind what I said about the battery, the Z510 have a much larger battery, so it's hard to compare.

TechHelpNO

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

Go with the Z510 model because it has a better clock speed on the CPU and the CPU matters more than the GPU when using editing programs :)
EDIT: My mistake it comes upon which programs you use most there are programs that use more CPU over GPU and the other way around, but i didnt see that you were also going for gaming if you are going for games and the other thing i would then go with the Z50-70 because of the GPU power, and if you need more CPU power you can always overclock a bit :)
P.S. Photoshop and Aftereffects go mostly on GPU than CPU it was my mistake when answering the first time :)

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I'd get the Z50-70. The i7 4510 should be fast enough for those applications (but the 4702MQ is quite a bit faster in heavily threaded workloads, single/dual core frequency is about the same with turboBoost). The 840 should be quite a bit faster than the 740, so this could help a bit in Adobe CS. Both CPUs should perform similarly in games, so the Z50-70 will have the advantage, with its faster GPU.

However, the main selling point, in my opinion, is the much better screen resolution. It should give you a much more pleasing experience with that kind of software. I definitely would not want to use anything less.

Edit: Never mind what I said about the battery, the Z510 have a much larger battery, so it's hard to compare.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS