Chosing between Amd and i3 processor

LeonMax

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
Since my old laptop broke down, I'm searching for a new one and my budget is around 500 euros.One laptop caught my eye: Lenovo G50-45, AMD A8-6410 4GB RAM, 2,4GHz
The link to this laptop is below:
http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-G50-45-Notebook-A8-6410-Radeon/dp/B00KH6PNFO

But on some forums I have read, that it is better to search for i3 or better i5 processors, rather than have an AMD, because they perform better. So my question basically is, whether i3 processors are really this much better that amd a8 processor?
I'll be using my laptop primarily for studying purposes (chemical technology, we use a lot of word, excel, mathlab and mathcad), web browsing, watching some movies and occasionaly some gaming (WOW, Heroes of the storm, Hearthstone, low setting are more than ok).

Also I have had HP pavilion dv7-3170em and was very disappointed, because it was overheating when I was multitasking (for example listening to some music on youtube while working with word or excel) or even playing Hearthstone for like 20 minutes on lowest graphics possible and besides the plastic casing was falling apart. Did HP improve the quality of their pavilion laptops?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance.